inTank Media Baskets

ATO for Rimmed

Mystichrome

I know this was asked a while ago from my search, but didn't seem to get an answer. Was wondering if anyone who has a rimmed tank has an ATO that maintains the water level above the rim? I have a 10 gallon.

At this point - I'm already starting to contemplate upgrading to an IM20 or IM30 since little things like this are annoying me and I'm pissed I didn't get it to start with.

I'm worried that since my tank is off and running for a month now, that it will cause me to have to essentially start over.

2 hours ago, Mystichrome said:

I know this was asked a while ago from my search, but didn't seem to get an answer. Was wondering if anyone who has a rimmed tank has an ATO that maintains the water level above the rim? I have a 10 gallon.

At this point - I'm already starting to contemplate upgrading to an IM20 or IM30 since little things like this are annoying me and I'm pissed I didn't get it to start with.

I'm worried that since my tank is off and running for a month now, that it will cause me to have to essentially start over.

You can top off manually and it won't effect anything. The salinity level changes very little.

Its when you don't top up for a day or more that it becomes an issue.

• Like 1

Hmmm. I have a lid on mine so I'm assuming its a bit less evaporation. Thing is, when it was cycling, ive noticed that the water level barely ever changed to my own eye. That's why I'm not sure if I'm doing it right or not. There are weekends that I'm away for 2-3 days at a time so I was wondering if that would be an issue.

If enough RODI water is somehow being added to the tank that the water level doesn't noticeably change, you're doing fine. If "enough" RODI water is "basically none", that's still fine. As long as you aren't topping up with saltwater, or ignoring significant level changes, no worries.

If you have a filter compartment or sump, remember to check the level there, too. My display level never changes at all, but my filter compartment level changes quite a lot if I don't top up daily. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Mystichrome said:

Hmmm. I have a lid on mine so I'm assuming its a bit less evaporation. Thing is, when it was cycling, ive noticed that the water level barely ever changed to my own eye. That's why I'm not sure if I'm doing it right or not. There are weekends that I'm away for 2-3 days at a time so I was wondering if that would be an issue.

If you have a lid, it will evaporate less.

Make a mark somehow where your water line starts with the proper salinity and then you will be able to see where it drops to and how often you will need to top up.

Mine are open IM's with no ato. I top up in morning and when i go to bed manually

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, Tired said:

If enough RODI water is somehow being added to the tank that the water level doesn't noticeably change, you're doing fine. If "enough" RODI water is "basically none", that's still fine. As long as you aren't topping up with saltwater, or ignoring significant level changes, no worries.

If you have a filter compartment or sump, remember to check the level there, too. My display level never changes at all, but my filter compartment level changes quite a lot if I don't top up daily. 

Really?

When i had my tanks with hob, the tank evaporated but never inside the hob.

Mine is an AIO setup. Somehow, it ends up working out that the water level in the filter area lowers way faster than the display. The display level lowers eventually, but the way I check if the tank needs a topoff is I look in the filter compartment. I have a marker on the wall so I know where it's supposed to be. I don't know if it does that in all tanks, but I know it did this in my prior tank (a Biocube) too. 

1 hour ago, Tired said:

Mine is an AIO setup. Somehow, it ends up working out that the water level in the filter area lowers way faster than the display. The display level lowers eventually, but the way I check if the tank needs a topoff is I look in the filter compartment. I have a marker on the wall so I know where it's supposed to be. I don't know if it does that in all tanks, but I know it did this in my prior tank (a Biocube) too. 

I've never noticed any of my aio displays drop water level but i top up every day.

• Like 1