Cultivated Reef

Red goniopora thriving, green suffering -- what's going on?

tzink

A month ago, I added a red flowerpot/goniopora in the middle of my tank. It's a nice showpiece. It's been thriving, always puffed out, readily accepts food, already growing new polyps, looks generally happy. Two weeks ago at the LFS, I saw a green version and thought it would look really nice next to the red. Was thinking it would be awesome if they both eventually took over the rock and just turned into a red and green ball of polyps.

Anyway, the green one has never done well. The attached picture is pretty much what they always look like. The green sometimes is more extended, especially when there's food in the water. But it just isn't thriving. Obviously they share the same lighting, water, feeding, etc. What accounts for the difference, and is there anything I can do to help the green?

Parameters:

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0 (I think it's all being consumed by the algae and coral)

pH: 8.2

kH: 11-12.5

Phosphate: 0.25

Gravity: 1.025

Thanks!

5DA91B90-9010-486E-91E7-7D7716290A8C.jpeg

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, tzink said:

A month ago, I added a red flowerpot/goniopora in the middle of my tank. It's a nice showpiece. It's been thriving, always puffed out, readily accepts food, already growing new polyps, looks generally happy. Two weeks ago at the LFS, I saw a green version and thought it would look really nice next to the red. Was thinking it would be awesome if they both eventually took over the rock and just turned into a red and green ball of polyps.

Anyway, the green one has never done well. The attached picture is pretty much what they always look like. The green sometimes is more extended, especially when there's food in the water. But it just isn't thriving. Obviously they share the same lighting, water, feeding, etc. What accounts for the difference, and is there anything I can do to help the green?

Parameters:

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0 (I think it's all being consumed by the algae and coral)

pH: 8.2

kH: 11-12.5

Phosphate: 0.25

Gravity: 1.025

Thanks!

5DA91B90-9010-486E-91E7-7D7716290A8C.jpeg

This is purely anecdotal but my Green Goni likes more flow than my Red Goni...... maybe try moving it.