Coral Vue Hydros

Yellow white spots on Xenia

Brianc_4

I have a fairly new xenia in my tank, and just noticed some yellow and white spots along the main "stalk". I was wondering if this is disease, infection, or just calcerous. Sorry for the lack of pic(still having camera/computer problems).

My tank is a 20H/2x55wpcs/bak pak/24#LR/4-6inDSB/temp 81F/pH8.3/ammonia 0/nitrites 0/nitrates 7ppm/dKh 11/Ca 410

Xenia is located towards the bottom of the water column.

Any ideas?? thanks;)

24 hrs later, yellowish white spots are streaking, and the xenia is sarting to deteriorate at the base. Most likely won't last another 24 hrs. Anyone know what this is, and/or what causes it.

it ain't calcerous. the slime keeps it off but it also promotes bacteria. that's my guess on the yellow/white. what's 'streaking'? do you mean oozing or getting larger?

try kent's lugol's iodine, it should help inhibit the infection (besides the anecdotal help it provides ;) ). i'm not one to blast xenia with lotsa of current. i think it forces them to ooze slime even more (bacteria food). put a light current (1"~2" sec.). honestly though xenia tends to crash fast and hard. :( sorry

Yeah I'm pretty sure its bacterial, and it is crashing hard and fast. It is in a very light current, and I have been dosing with iodine. I think its pretty much a goner. I also only had it for a few days when I first noticed the spots, I must have bought it already infected. Lesson learned, to examine things a little more closely before bringing it home. Tinyreef, thanks for the reply.

Already yanked, it literally started falling apart. So, I pulled it, and sucked out anything that decayed from it, pulled the small rock it was on and changed 20% water. So, now I have an overpriced piece of rubble rock.

Man did that thing crash fast!!

Dave, I may take you up on that xenia offer. But I'm gonna wait a little bit, first to be positive my tank is alright, and secondly I got a friend who is talking about breaking down his 180 and I may be able to get some free frags.

No leathers in the tank, some beautiful yellow polyps(growin' like crazy) and a bubble coral(xenia was way far away from bubble).

Thanks Dave!!;)

Archived