Pod Your Reef

Filefish recommendations?

AJ Odasso

There was a Pygmy White-Spotted Filefish that I had intended to pick up from the same Petco where I got one of my two clowns (they were tankmates, even), but somebody bought it before I could go back for it.  I've noticed that LiveAquaria has a Pygmy White-Spotted and Radial Filefish, both of which seem pretty neat.  I'm assuming the Pygmy would do best in a nano reef, but do you recommend one type over the other?

• Like 1

Both reach max size about 3",  so size won't be that much of a determining factor. I you are wanting this for your 14g in your signature, then I would think twice about adding one, especially if you still have the blenny. In my opinion, the 14g doesn't have a the room for this fish, it loves to swim around and cruise in the flow. 

I have a pygmy spotted one from LiveAquaria in my 25g lagoon, and he exists happily with my two established clowns, and my captive bred crested oyster goby (added later). It was touch and go at first, as my clowns weren't having the filefish. I actually tossed in a yellow belly blue damsel in so the clowns would stop picking on it, and they transferred their aggression to  the damsel. Then, a couple feedings later, the clowns and filefish were acting like lifetime friends, all of them picking on the damsel (who got rehomed).  

If you are keeping the softy coral theme, "simply" upgrade your tank, get the radial and some xenia (on an isolated rock)!

• Like 2
On 9/24/2020 at 8:44 AM, Garf said:

Both reach max size about 3",  so size won't be that much of a determining factor. I you are wanting this for your 14g in your signature, then I would think twice about adding one, especially if you still have the blenny. In my opinion, the 14g doesn't have a the room for this fish, it loves to swim around and cruise in the flow. 

I have a pygmy spotted one from LiveAquaria in my 25g lagoon, and he exists happily with my two established clowns, and my captive bred crested oyster goby (added later). It was touch and go at first, as my clowns weren't having the filefish. I actually tossed in a yellow belly blue damsel in so the clowns would stop picking on it, and they transferred their aggression to  the damsel. Then, a couple feedings later, the clowns and filefish were acting like lifetime friends, all of them picking on the damsel (who got rehomed).  

If you are keeping the softy coral theme, "simply" upgrade your tank, get the radial and some xenia (on an isolated rock)!

Hehe most people say that damsels are meanies but ime its chromis and clowns that have been the worst. My chromis constantly picks on all my fish 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
RoyalGramma001
On 9/26/2020 at 12:55 AM, Leo_ian said:

Hehe most people say that damsels are meanies but ime its chromis and clowns that have been the worst. My chromis constantly picks on all my fish 

You should meet my tomato clownfish