Innovative Marine Aquariums

Precautions with moving a fish from a dino infested environment

kygass

Hello,

I am moving residences, and my current tank has been decimated by dinos.  I have lost most of the inhabitants of my tank to it, but all I have left is a 4 year old clownfish and a couple hermits.  I would like to move these inhabitants to a quarantine tank at my new place, while I get a new permanent system set up.  The last thing I want to do is seed my new system with these evil dinos from my old system.  Does anyone have a protocol or at least tips to prevent this from occurring?  Thanks for the help!

The fish should be fine, but IMO not worth the risk of transferring dinos on a couple of hermit crab shells. Scrub the outside of the shells as best you can with a toothbrush and rehome them to a LFS.

12 hours ago, kygass said:

The last thing I want to do is seed my new system with these evil dinos from my old system.  Does anyone have a protocol or at least tips to prevent this from occurring?  Thanks for the help!

Without knowing more about your situation...

Do not replicate the same conditions in the new tank that generated the dino bloom in the old tank.

In most cases this seems to be (in no order):

• using dead rock
  • general over-use of nutrient export

To the extent that either of those apply in your case, don't repeat them in the new tank.

• Like 1

For my new system, I’m using live rock from a lfs that is imported from Florida.  Going to throw away my sand and rock from the old system.  Any equipment I’m reusing is getting a vinegar bath.

• Like 1

keep the lights off in the quarantine. It may or may not help. Because some strains of dinos like light. No point having the lights on if there's no corals. 

I did the same thing but I moved corals over. I dipped them, put them in  bucket with no lights for 5 days. Dipped them again then into the display tank (some softies so they were okay. SPS, maybe not). I don't think I transferred any dinos over. My new tank did get a small dinos outbreak but it was a completely different strain than the first tank. And it was due to little nutrients. 

Any idea what kind of dinos in the first tank? Some strains would be fine to accidentally transfer, as they wouldn't be able to establish themselves in a tank with lots of really good established rock. I would venture to say that it's impossible to not have any dinos in your tank, there are probably some on your rock. They're pretty common. It's just a matter of if they get a chance to run amok.