SaltCritters.com

I think I accidentally discovered the ultimate solution to quieting a durso

b_roddd720

Hello all, I noticed the previous owner to my tank installed a durso too low in the overflow. A lot of gurgling and waterfall noise. So I decided to raised the standpipe but ran into an issue with my return T fitting. The cap won't fit so I decided to install it backwards and *BOOM!* super silent durso with a stable water level and best of all super silent, even my keys jingle louder lol. Here are some pics. The drain pipe is on the left hand side that goes down into the sump. The water enters in thru the cap side. 5/16" hole with 5x 1/16" holes

IMG_20200913_134234.jpg

IMG_20200913_134226.jpg

IMG_20200913_134241.jpg

• Like 1

I don’t understand what is backwards, it looks just like my Durso. On mine I quieted it by drilling the hole Progressively larger. Also I PVC 20 pipe, it’s thinning and has a bigger diagram on the inside. BTW, I had a Marine Biologist say to never use the Blue Rain Resistant Glue around an Aquarium, even after letting it fully cure.  

Yes, my drain now looks like that as opposed to a traditional durso design. I didn't think it would would but it has silenced the drain.

Wow I never noticed a difference, it makes me wanna switch to sprinkler pipe. What glue do you use? I used the Christy's red hot glue

• Like 1

I use Oatey #30818TV All Purpose Cement for ABS, CPVC and PVC. I don’t use primer. I take 220 grit sandpaper and do a single wipe, then clean with Isopropyl Alcohol, before glueing.  Also I don’t glue anything except were the Pipe attaches to the Bulkhead fitting. This so I can take it apart to remove any Critters that might have gotten stuck. I Glue to the Bulkhead incase I need to unscrew the Bulkhead fitting. 

On 9/17/2020 at 12:26 PM, DSA65PRO said:

I use Oatey #30818TV All Purpose Cement for ABS, CPVC and PVC. I don’t use primer. I take 220 grit sandpaper and do a single wipe, then clean with Isopropyl Alcohol, before glueing.  Also I don’t glue anything except were the Pipe attaches to the Bulkhead fitting. This so I can take it apart to remove any Critters that might have gotten stuck. I Glue to the Bulkhead incase I need to unscrew the Bulkhead fitting. 

So, unless you really, really know what you are doing when choosing your PVC cement, you should absolutely 100% use primer for anything you are gluing. The primer is actually what allows the PVC pipe to chemically bond with the fitting and softens the PVC so the pipe can be fully inserted to achieve the interference fit you need. If you aren't using a "hot" cement that performs that crucial step, it's not actually bonding the pipe with the fitting and it's literally just gluing it together. You might as well just jam the pipe and fitting together and call it a day.

Any bumps or movement in the pipe that isn't properly bonded can cause leaks. Not using primer properly when using a regular cement is a recipe for disaster. Guess what your homeowners insurance is going to say if your tank leaks and causes thousands of dollars of damage because you didn't properly glue your plumbing?

If you are worried about the purple ugliness of over-primed pipe, practice a little bit and you can always use masking tape while you apply primer and glue then pull it off and join your pipe.

* This is only for plumbing outside of the tank - you don't need to glue anything on the inside of your overflow and shouldn't so you can clean it properly.