SaltCritters.com

When to remove Marinepuire?

Kurant

I have MarinePure in my current Nano, but only about 12-14lbs of rock in the 25 Lagoon..

I think I would like to remove the MarinePure from the tank as I've never used bio-media on larger systems. How should I go about doing it without blowing the tank up? 

Why are you removing it?  

If you are intent on removing, I would remove small portions at a time.  If you’re using the large block or plate, break it up first and remove little by little.  Since you’ll be removing populations of denitrifying bacteria, you don’t want to shock your biological filtration by removing a large quantity all at once.

• Like 1
On 9/10/2020 at 10:11 PM, Kurant said:

How should I go about doing it without blowing the tank up?

In a healthy system with around a pound of live rock per gallon and moderate fish load, it shouldn't be a big deal to just pull it.  (If necessary, make the fish load moderate before you do pull it.)

On 9/14/2020 at 8:30 PM, mcarroll said:

In a healthy system with around a pound of live rock per gallon and moderate fish load, it shouldn't be a big deal to just pull it.  (If necessary, make the fish load moderate before you do pull it.)

If you mean healthy, as in stable, it seems to be at this point. I know we had discussions about GFO before, and that was the one thing I was having issue with, switching to Kolar HC GFO seemed to really curb the GFO fluidizing so much, it's MUCH better now. Bigger grains, heavier, much better results. 

My thought process with the Marinepure when we moved into this house I switched Nano's too, I knew it would cycle again, and I used Marinepure to get that as stable as I could as quickly as possible since I had livestock. Seemed to have worked, I didn't lose anything and now seeing the end of the "cycle" and parameters have really settled in and seeing some slight diatoms now.. But, I didn't intend on keeping it, so I was just curious what the best way to go about removing it at some point was.. 

• Like 1

What is the concern to leaving the MarinePure?  Not enough room? Taking up room?  Leaching chemicals? Detritus trap?  Trying to understand since I also use MarinePure balls in my back chamber.

-Jeff 

On 9/22/2020 at 1:32 PM, jcreefer said:

What is the concern to leaving the MarinePure?  Not enough room? Taking up room?  Leaching chemicals? Detritus trap?  Trying to understand since I also use MarinePure balls in my back chamber.

-Jeff 

Nothing in particular. I just never planned on using them long term. I just used them to keep my livestock alive and cycle the tank after it was moved. Not sure they helped, but nothing died so it worked. Some people say they leech aluminum, but I can't say for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Tagging along and wondering about the products in comparison to live rock. Do they need to be replaced at some point, cleaned, etc> What is the maintenance if any?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2020 at 7:11 PM, Kurant said:

I have MarinePure in my current Nano, but only about 12-14lbs of rock in the 25 Lagoon..

I think I would like to remove the MarinePure from the tank as I've never used bio-media on larger systems. How should I go about doing it without blowing the tank up? 

If your ICP test comes back high in aluminum

Otherwise, I would leave it