Cultivated Reef

Free

growsomething

growsomething

Should I save this tank?  Doing cabinet work downstairs, just discovered it upstairs to be demo'd.  Looks like a cyclid tank, no sign of snails or algae.  All acrylic.  Is it worth saving?  I'd like to cut it in half horizontally for a shallow tank.

20200908_130051.jpg

20200908_130242.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

I would take it in a heartbeat as it looks in good condition (with permission). I wouldn't cut it in half only because I have no idea how to do that cleanly but I would certainly take it 🙂 It's too skinny and tall but acrylic is lightweight so moving it is easy and scratches can be repaired. Mostly I would take it since its lightweight 😉

I would probably be tempted to fill it half way and grow mangroves out the top. Let the rock stick out of the water a ways (since the tank is only half full) and make a salt water Paludarium. 

• Like 3
Christopher Marks

Definitely save it! Worst case scenario you can pass it on to another hobbyist.

As far as cutting it into a shallow tank goes, working with acrylic is very similar to working with wood. It would be a big effort, but it's plausible. If your trade is cabinet work, you probably have access to all the tools you would need to pull it off. You'd just need to plan on polishing the edges and bonding new acrylic cross-braces to the top.

Keep us posted!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...