Pod Your Reef

Possible Hydroids?

fishfreak0114

fishfreak0114

After returning from a couple weeks away and giving the tank a thorough look over, I noticed these. They are extremely abundant on my zoa rock. I haven’t seen anything like them in my tank in the last 5 years. They appear to be harmless, as they are nuzzled up against zoas and the zoas appear unaffected. My best guess is some sort of hydroids, but I wanted outside opinions. They are approximately 0.1-0.2  cm wide with a whitish, mostly opaque mouth and light brown, translucent tentacles. I’ve circled the densest patches in the pics. Sorry for the terrible pics, they are TINY

1A4663E9-0E7C-4F46-83DB-8B019C8D187D.jpeg

842AC9FA-FDB7-4845-A8B9-204B9D3054E0.jpeg

fishfreak0114
1 minute ago, sublunary said:

Huh.  I haven't seen anything quite like that.  Following along, because I'm really curious if anyone else has ideas. 

I’ve looked at photos I’ve colonial hydroids and they just seem...bigger than mine? 

2 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

I’ve looked at photos I’ve colonial hydroids and they just seem...bigger than mine? 

Agreed, I've had those and they are maybe 1-2 mm in diameter.  And filament hydroids don't look nearly that flower-y.   

fishfreak0114
2 minutes ago, sublunary said:

Agreed, I've had those and they are maybe 1-2 mm in diameter.  And filament hydroids don't look nearly that flower-y.   

Well I’m officially stupid, I corrected the measurements in my original post haha.