Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Any donations?

J-boogie242

I’m looking to start a small saltwater tank and would love to hear of any donations people might have. I just want to build the best nano reef I can so anything that can be sold or donated would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

:welcome: to Nano-Reef.com.

Providing a location might be helpful.  People may be more willing to donate or sell something for local pickup (or cheaper shipping).  Finding a local reef club is another potential resource.

People here are fairly generous to contributing members that have helped other reefers.  However, being new, it might be a little tougher.  Still, I wish you good luck!

• Like 3

I think you may get more things if you say you're looking to buy. "Hello, I'd like to buy some corals, but I don't have much budget. Does anyone have some starter frags available?" comes across a bit better than "hi, please give me things". People might still give you free stuff, too. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, J-boogie242 said:

I’m looking to start a small saltwater tank and would love to hear of any donations people might have. I just want to build the best nano reef I can so anything that can be sold or donated would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

you need money to build the best nano you can.... 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, J-boogie242 said:

Hi, welcome!! Where are you located? Happy to give you stuff if you’re local. 

So it's the tank itself that you need.  We still need a location, as local pickup could be even more important with a tank.  However, you can often find used tanks for sale on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace.  Although the tank can often be one of the cheaper items of a reef tank.

What's your budget? In terms of free tanks, you aren't going to be seeing AIOs because they are expensive and hold their value unless they are tiny (like 2-4g tiny). If you wanted a standard rimmed aquarium, I bet you could find a dozen in your area for free or sub-20 dollars, especially if you want a medium sized tank. Hell, if you were near me you could have my 20g setup in about a month.

I see 40g, 55g, and 65g tanks being given away or sold on our local FB group for like $15, but that's no good if you can't afford to put lights over it and fill it up. If you want a specific tank, you are better off just buying it and then seeing if you can get used gear or freebies for your equipment, test kit, buckets, etc.

Building a tank from what you can just get your hands on for free or cheap is not going to work out well for a first tank and will never "be the best" (whatever that means). You can get away with stuff like that when you know what you are doing and what you can make work, but currently you don't.

If you want a Fluval 13.5, just go out and buy one for $160 and it's basically a reef in a box, minus a heater and small powerhead which can be found for $10-20.

• Like 4
8 hours ago, J-boogie242 said:

I do have money just was looking to see if anyone had a starter hand me down that’s all. 

Not really how it works and if you can't spend money on a setup how the hell can you spend the money on the upkeep? 

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll

I tell everyone the best bet to finding used equipment is their local Facebook Reefing group. Whatever decent size city your closest too, join that page.  Especially for nanos.  People are always upgrading.

• Like 3

I have a 16 bio cube led. My gf as a gift I wanrec to fine an unestablished evo 13.5. My dream tank is a 2t or 40 g lagoon AIO. But that’s my motive just to find an evo

RoyalGramma001
2 hours ago, J-boogie242 said:

I have a 16 bio cube led. My gf as a gift I wanrec to fine an unestablished evo 13.5. My dream tank is a 2t or 40 g lagoon AIO. But that’s my motive just to find an evo

Why not use the bio cube 16 that's a better tank than most people have. And if you wanted the AIO you could sell it and probably buy one.