inTank Media Baskets

Best LED for a shallow mixed reef

reef-luva

Hey all, I am building another nano reef, after too many surgeries to talk about since 2017. A tank I am building, 29 x 9 x 9 (10 gals+) but it will have only about 7.5 inches of water....so very shallow.

I am seeking an LED that won't cook LPS but could handle a birds nest. After researching lamps for about a month, the Hipargaro 30 watt seems to be the one.

Does anyone run this light or know someone that does on a shallow reef?

I would love to hear you opinion on a light for a shallow reef. I don't need anything too fancy, but a dual switch, daylight and actinic or actinic only...if it has a dimmer....bonus.

Thanx again

I am looking forward to doing a build post as it progresses...picking up the glass today 🙂

2 hours ago, Clown79 said:

You will need 2 on a long tank, any of the smaller units 2 are needed.

Or 1 long light like current orbit. 

If I intend to stock this end to end, shadows would be bad, I agree. Have you used the Loop controller on those orbits? I am not trying to get fancy, hooking up wave pumps, blue tooth and all that. What have you heard about these Wave Point blades? I think two of those would be sufficient, thoughts? 18 x 1 watt led lamps (12 - 10K, 6 - super blue)

https://www.marinedepot.com/wave-point-blade-ho-led-aquarium-light-super-blue-10k

22 minutes ago, reef-luva said:

If I intend to stock this end to end, shadows would be bad, I agree. Have you used the Loop controller on those orbits? I am not trying to get fancy, hooking up wave pumps, blue tooth and all that. What have you heard about these Wave Point blades? I think two of those would be sufficient, thoughts? 18 x 1 watt led lamps (12 - 10K, 6 - super blue)

https://www.marinedepot.com/wave-point-blade-ho-led-aquarium-light-super-blue-10k

I have never used those wave pumps or know much about them so I can't really comment on them

The hipargero is not made to spread light to 29", you will get proper lighting in the centre of your tank and the rest will be minimal light.

Its suited to light 11- 17" anything outside 17" will be low light within an inch or so and even less light outside of that.

http://www.hipargero.com/product/hipargero-a029-led-aquarium-light-2/

• Like 1
5 hours ago, reef-luva said:

Hey all, I am building another nano reef, after too many surgeries to talk about since 2017. A tank I am building, 29 x 9 x 9 (10 gals+) but it will have only about 7.5 inches of water....so very shallow.

I am seeking an LED that won't cook LPS but could handle a birds nest. After researching lamps for about a month, the Hipargaro 30 watt seems to be the one.

Does anyone run this light or know someone that does on a shallow reef?

I would love to hear you opinion on a light for a shallow reef. I don't need anything too fancy, but a dual switch, daylight and actinic or actinic only...if it has a dimmer....bonus.

Thanx again

I am looking forward to doing a build post as it progresses...picking up the glass today 🙂

I replied in the other thread about the hipargero.  Buy two of those, a simple timer and call it a day. You will need to modify the light mount otherwise it will stick too far out. I used a piece of foam and zip ties. 

Do you have amazon prime? You could always just order them and try them out. If you don’t like them just return them. I’m telling you though, one will not be enough. You won’t have low light at the edges, it will be dark at the edges. 

2DF88B46-9EC0-4F02-91D3-1D9DA4BC3CAD.thumb.jpeg.eeda3a9e0ce19a1576545ddd721d6d16.jpeg6B8F47B6-0151-45B0-81A2-EE0AB71CC0E1.thumb.jpeg.2dd0bc339e35cdaba40deeff2b553a8a.jpeg1915ADE3-41CE-411E-BDFD-44E3E6D391E4.thumb.jpeg.03106873c1b2b6a574c47c5886906c06.jpeg53091B19-C60B-4579-BBA5-20B8FD6BB5A2.thumb.jpeg.f8189a4912f06e0b875f3d4056b8e824.jpeg

• Like 2
Poison Dart Frog

The orbit marine would be plenty of light for a shallow tank light that. Even in a 16" high tank it will grow birds nest on top of the rock while having fairly low PAR on the sand. The hipargero is a stronger light but you would need 2 of them.

• Like 1