Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Pest on starfish

JasonMcM

Me again guys!

This time, I've discovered something disturbing...

I have a small red starfish in my tank, and attached to it was something that I though was actually it's feeler tentacles for days. I went to try to spot feed the star, and saw the "tentacle" crawl into the stars back!

Needless to say, I quickly flicked the creature into a plastic tub to isolate it.

What the heck is this?

IMG_20200823_235116.jpg

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, JasonMcM said:

Me again guys!

This time, I've discovered something disturbing...

I have a small red starfish in my tank, and attached to it was something that I though was actually it's feeler tentacles for days. I went to try to spot feed the star, and saw the "tentacle" crawl into the stars back!

Needless to say, I quickly flicked the creature into a plastic tub to isolate it.

What the heck is this?

IMG_20200823_235116.jpg

Nudibranch of some type. Usually not good guys. 

it’s pretty though. 

• Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Nudibranch of some type. Usually not good guys. 

it’s pretty though. 

Oh wow, I recently removed a different nudibranch. This guy looks so different! Lots of little things coming off him and seems to have a different "viscosity" to him, for lack of a better term.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, JasonMcM said:

Oh wow, I recently removed a different nudibranch. This guy looks so different! Lots of little things coming off him and seems to have a different "viscosity" to him, for lack of a better term.

They are such varied and pretty creatures. I found a blue one once that was gorgeous. The problem is they usually have a diet of one specific type of coral. 

Here’s the one I found on my blue sympodium:

11217509-FC98-4239-9A7E-8BAAAD06DEF9.thumb.jpeg.3f79786d9c734c65fa07e30b0671e67d.jpeg

• Wow 2

Oh, wow. That's very cool. 

Though, I hate to break it to you, but red linkia and fromia starfish are pretty much doomed in aquaria. They eat biofilm, and need to be kept in a massive aquarium to have any hope of getting enough. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1