Top Shelf Aquatics

Better a smaller pump run at 40% - or a larger pump run at 20%?

Muffin87

I have a tank similar to a 2ft cube.

I wanna buy a couple of Maxspect gyres. Either the 330s or 350s.

At first glance, the 350 gyres would seem the more attractive option:

• The 350s are longer than the 330s - which means the flow is distributed over a wider area.
  • The 350s offer same flow rate as the 330s but at a lower speed - which means they can be more silent

But my concern is that, if I run the bigger 350 gyres at a low speed, for example 10% or 20%, the flow will have so little kick that it'll be dispersed, rather than laminar and focussed.

I do need more kick. I already have an AI Nero V for "dispersed flow" with little kick.

Anyone can comment on this issue?

Thanks a lot to every for their insight!

Without the people on this forum, I would never have got into reef keeping!

I asked BRS a recent question, and they quickly got back to me, so that’s who I would ask. I would think, you would have more pump fouling at lower speeds, and a restart after a power failure might be a problem. Also I’ve had Magnetic Drive Pumps, do the death rattle at low speeds.

• Like 1
On 8/21/2020 at 3:02 PM, Muffin87 said:

I have a tank similar to a 2ft cube.

I'm not sure where you're coming from (new tank, no pumps?  old tank, upgrading pumps?  other?) so I can't really offer specific guidance (yet).

It does sound like you may be overthinking it though.  Noise from controllable pumps is usually related to speed changes more than speed itself.

What pumps do you have now?

Have use used Gyre pumps before?

Is the Nero you mentioned already in the tank?

Can you post a pic of your tank, if it's set up already?  

Posting your thoughts on why you think adding the Gyre/laminar flow is a good idea may help as well.

On 8/23/2020 at 7:39 PM, mcarroll said:

I'm not sure where you're coming from (new tank, no pumps?  old tank, upgrading pumps?  other?) so I can't really offer specific guidance (yet).

It does sound like you may be overthinking it though.  Noise from controllable pumps is usually related to speed changes more than speed itself.

What pumps do you have now?

Have use used Gyre pumps before?

Is the Nero you mentioned already in the tank?

Can you post a pic of your tank, if it's set up already?  

Posting your thoughts on why you think adding the Gyre/laminar flow is a good idea may help as well.

Thank you so much for this.

I'm sorry it's taken so long to reply, but I've been on a holiday.

• I have a Nero V now and it's in the tank
  • I've used a maxpsect XF130 before. 

Here are some pics of my new tank.

I got these large artificial reef rocks from aquaroche in France (small one), and Arka Biotech in Germany (big one).

• I got a nero V (see green in the pics) because I wanted some very dispersed flow across the tank. Also helps from getting detritus out of the rear of the large rock.
  • I need two vertical gyres (red in the pics) at the sides of the large rock to prevent detritus from getting behind the large rock and swipe detritus off the bare bottom. I can't really fit anything else there, the space is too small.
  • The overflow is at the top of the large rock, but detritus won't get behind the rock as it's getting sucked into the overflow because there's a kind of "seal". Basically, the rock adheres to the glass perfectly at the top. Used some epoxy to the improve the "seal". Same colour as the rock too!
    The nassarrius snails love staying behind the large rock anyway! So, should any significant amount of uneaten food make it back there, they'll eat it.

Let me know your thoughts!

IMG_20200825_044545 2.jpg

IMG_20200825_044552#1 2.jpg

IMG_20200825_044559 2.jpg

Hm...

Is that more or less final positioning for the back roc as well as the freestanding rock?

And is that first pic of the "front" so you actually lose view of the second (back) rock, or is that a side-view?

1 hour ago, Muffin87 said:

IMG_20200825_044545 2.jpg

Seems like pumps may be optional back in those corners....two Gyres seems like two too many, especially considering the cost and that you want to add another pump too.

If (if!) you need supplemental pumps there, I'm one of three ways about it:

1. redesign the space so pumps aren't needed
  2. try a Tunze 6020 in the lower part of each space, aimed straight up.  MUCH smaller, and MUCH MUCH MUCH cheaper  ($40/ea) for a simple utility role like this...and still adequate.  If you already have them, even a pair of those little Since (I think) flow pumps that are in one of your pics would be fine I'd think...also aimed straight up.
  3. Use a pair of 6040's if you want those pumps in the back to be the flow for the whole tank...the are 3X the cost, but are controllable and much stronger as well.  

Either model will be less obtrusive than a gyre in each corner, plus I think the flow from these will be better suited to the monolithic rock layout you have.   I'd wait and see if you really end up needing the third pump.  Decide then what pump to add.  (Which is a definite if you opted for the smaller 6020's....even their flow would be nice, pretty much all around the tank, but not very strong for corals.)

Third pump inside the back rock seems like a bad idea since it's aimed right at the huge tower rock I front....should be a better solution.

I would add that if you're just a fan of the Gyres and really want them, add one....try it and see if two are needed.  Not quite as neat looking as the 6040's (seems like the Gyres would stand out), but I'm sure it'll work well.  I still dunno about that third pump in the middle..for the same reason.

How much space is there on the glass in either of those side spots in red?