Top Shelf Aquatics

What's on the side of my trachy?

JasonMcM

Hi all,

Got a beautiful green trachy as one of my first ever corals. Looking online, I noticed others don't have these little polyps on them like mine does. What are they? Thanks!

IMG_20200819_173833.jpg

IMG_20200819_173825.jpg

That is a completely different coral. Looks like clove polyps- how big are they? 

Can you turn it over and see how they're attached? Many clove polyp species can be invasive. Though they don't seem to be bothering the trachy much, which is good.

• Like 1

Worth noting - I am a complete noob and have since moved the Trachy down to the substrate. Seems to be much happier! Even opening up it's tentacles more often. Photo doesn't do the colours justice

IMG_20200822_190521.jpg

If I were you, I'd try to peel the clove polyps off and put them somewhere you can easily contain them. They won't like the sandbed much, anyway. 

Just take the trachy out, handle it in wet hands, and try to peel the edge of a polyp's base up. They'll all be connected to each other, so if you can peel one off, you should be able to get the rest off pretty easily. It won't hurt them as long as you're gentle, and if you break them into multiple sections, those sections will be fine. You can use a bit of gel superglue to attach them to a solid surface like a rock or shell, or you can just put them somewhere with low flow and wait for them to attach on their own.