inTank Media Baskets

my new coral

flickj79

is it some type of galaxia coral? sorry i shoulda put this one in the id but it is a lil too late now

anyhow what type of coral is this and what do i need to do to care for it

Looks like an Gonipora sp. Most reefers that have kept it have stories about how it'll look great one day, and then the next, they'll up and die. Most don't even live to the 1 year mark in our tanks. Most people hypothesize that our tanks are lacking some elements in the water that it needs to survive.

From liveaquaria: Goniopora sp. require PERFECT water conditions, the proper trace elements and the habitat must match its requirements. In general, the Red form of the Flower Pot Coral does better in an aquarium than other Gonipora sp. However, any damage to the meaty section of the True Red Flower Pot Coral almost always means a lost specimen. One can only do this Goniopora Coral justice by leaving its care to the experienced hobbyist with the expertise and time to keep the coral properly.

Either way, this is a coral best left in the oceans or until further research has been done on how to best care for them.

I got this coral through some bad info at the lfs, I no longer trust them as much as i did before, if anyone who is more experienced than me would like to take this coral off of my hands for free just sned me a pm and we can talk about sending it your way, I have never shipped a coral or anything for that matter so i might need a lil instruction, I don't wanna give it back to the store because i am sure they will just sell it to someone else who doesn't know what it is also

i feel horrible now that i know what it is i got, I had no clue of what a flower pot looked like and i knew and had read about them i just didn't know what they looked like I feel like i made a huge begginer error. I only have 96 watts of coral life lights over my tank and now that i have read up on them even more i know that this doesn't even come close to its lighting requirements, and now i feel like everyone is going to look down on me for buying this coral too I would like to appologize to everyone for my mistake, I hate seeing something that could be so beautiful just slowly die in my tank, from now on i am only going to stick with zoos, polyps mushrooms and xenia

• 2 weeks later...
Dr. Saltwater

That's a pitty, the coral on the picture is a green Goniopora stokesis. Very beautifull but indeed very hard to keep alive for a longer period. I'm questioning myself if it stays alive in the other tank. Surely hope so :)

Archived