Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Court Jester Goby (Meet Tad)

FollyFish

Ok, I knew getting him that I had a less then 50% chance of getting one to eat prepared foods, so I heavily prestocked my tank with apex and tigger pods. I've had him for about a month now and while I don't believe he is skinny, hes not as fat as I would like either. Good news is he dosen't swim away from the food but he doesn't swim after it either. 

Foods that I have tried so far:

Reef Nutrient R.O.E.

Reef Nutrient Artic pods

LRS nano reef frenzy (most of my fish have trouble eating this as the pieces are kinda big)

Frozen mysis 

Frozen brine 

Shredded bay scallops 

Frozen Reef formula 

Frozen Cyclops 

Reef roids (mostly for the corals)

Nori (for the herbivores)

I wonder if he is in fact eating the food but only when it settles onto the sand. I will continue to buy pods until I can get him to eat with the same visual gusto as everyone else in my tank. 

20200815_153336.jpg

Reefer-begginer

I dont mean to sound like a downer but court jesters need a very special diet consisting of 

**filamentous algae, small crustaceans, such as live and frozen brine shrimp, mysis shrimp.**

You could also try baby peppermint shrimp to try to tempt him to eat as well

I don't think ive ever seen baby pep shrimps. Ive gotten frozen baby brine shrimps before, I would feed it too my corals as it was too small for the fish. I could try that again. But he won't eat brine or mysis shrimps I have tried both.

Hes been in the tank over a month now. Never hides, never bothered by the other fish or inverts. Constantly looks like he is eating or at least shifting sand. Won't touch anything I add to the tank, even when I soak it in garlic or vitamins. I have only ever fed frozen but I think I might try some flake food and see if everyone else will eat that as well. 

20200815_153453.jpg

Nope, at the store he was the only one who didn't swim away from the food, but he didn't eat any either. My guess is hes eatting the pods in my tank since he hasn't died of starvation yet. 

• Like 1
TerraIncognita
45 minutes ago, FollyFish said:

Nope, at the store he was the only one who didn't swim away from the food, but he didn't eat any either. My guess is hes eatting the pods in my tank since he hasn't died of starvation yet. 

Yeah he's definitely eating something.

I'd just keep an eye on him. If you see him out more trying to scavenge get more pods. There's a lot of micro life in our reef otherwise.

If he's been alive a month, from what I know if he gets NO sustenance for 3 days he's dead. So I'm sure you'd have a day or two before you really start to see him freaking out.

Do you have a LFS where you can get the pods in emergency or you have to order online?

3 hours ago, TerraIncognita said:

Yeah he's definitely eating something.

I'd just keep an eye on him. If you see him out more trying to scavenge get more pods. There's a lot of micro life in our reef otherwise.

If he's been alive a month, from what I know if he gets NO sustenance for 3 days he's dead. So I'm sure you'd have a day or two before you really start to see him freaking out.

Do you have a LFS where you can get the pods in emergency or you have to order online?

I watched him go poop this morning so im not too worried right now. If he starts to get skinner or have that sruken stomach look then I will panic. I just hope to have him eat prepared foods before it gets to that point.

There is a LFS about 10min from me that regularly stocks tigger pods another thats about 30min but they are more it or miss. Good news is that I buy pods every 2 months anyway so that my possum wrass has something to hunt. I will just start get a bottle every month instead.