Pod Your Reef

GCG vs YCG: Which one to get?

Zionas

Hi all, I thought one or two of these Clown Gobies would make a really cute addition to my tank once I start it. However, I am deciding between the Yellow one and the Green one. Is one hardier and easier to feed than the other? Do they need live foods to initiate feeding and / or even on a regular basis? I cannot provide live foods, only pellets and flakes and some frozen.

Are they prone to any diseases? Should I add them very early on?

How long do they live for? Is buying them online a risk? (My LFS doesn’t carry them)

I know my tank is not a Nano tank but will they get along with my other intended stock? 

1 YWG + Tiger Pistol

1 Royal Gramma

1 Azure Damsel

2 Captive-Bred Ocellaris Clownfish

1 Starry Blenny

1 African Flameback Angelfish

2 Pajama Cardinalfish

Thanks!

Thefishgolfer

Depends on how big the tank is. If the tank is around 30 gallons+ it will probably fine... the damsel might pick at it depending on size. Make sure you have a lid and that you feed it frozen foods such as shrimp for they are carnivorous. They might take pellets but the bigger problem is always keeping the lid closed..... They are very efficient jumpers. Also, the Tiger pistol could pair with it. Good luck😁

The tank’s bout 70 gallons, down from 90 and then 80. I’m an apartment dweller.

Oh really? xD Would that cause problems with the YWG? Or will they share a Tiger Pistol?

Should I get the yellow one or the green one? And how many?

Thefishgolfer
1 minute ago, Zionas said:

The tank’s bout 70 gallons.

You will be definitely fine. Also, I'd say by the yellow one.... they look better, but in care I'd say the green clown gobies are easier to keep.

Just now, Thefishgolfer said:

You will be definitely fine. Also, I'd say by the yellow one.... they look better

Aren’t they a bit less hardy than the green ones? xD Do you think it’s a risk buying them online? I heard they ship poorly and starve.

4 minutes ago, Thefishgolfer said:

You will be definitely fine. Also, I'd say by the yellow one.... they look better, but in care I'd say the green clown gobies are easier to keep.

Ahhh okay. I think I’ll opt for the green ones as I already have a YWG, PJ Cardinals, Royal Gramma, and Azure Damsel to provide for the Yellow in my tank. Might also have Yellow Zoas. How many can I keep? Do they fight with conspecifics and congeners?

RoyalGramma001

I would say you could keep a pair of green clown gobies. Wouldn't get the yellow clown goby though since they are smaller and might be considered prey to the pistol shrimp you have.

18 minutes ago, RoyalGramma001 said:

I would say you could keep a pair of green clown gobies. Wouldn't get the yellow clown goby though since they are smaller and might be considered prey to the pistol shrimp you have.

Thanks. Very helpful. Can I just plop two into my tank and they’ll form a pair? Any signs that they’ve paired like the submission ritual between male and female Clowns?

No worries. 

12 minutes ago, RoyalGramma001 said:

Actually after reading up a bit more I would only put one in they can be aggressive towards each other sorry if I misinformed You.

No worries. If that’s the case I’ll only put one. Should it go in very early, before the Yellow Watchman, Starry Blenny and Ocellaris Clowns?

Snow_Phoenix
2 hours ago, Thefishgolfer said:

Tiger pistol could pair with it. 

Tiger pistols (or any other pistol shrimp, for that matter) do not form symbiotic pairs with clown gobies. They only pair up with certain species of sand-dwelling gobies, and even then, not all of them. 

Snow_Phoenix
2 hours ago, Zionas said:

The tank’s bout 70 gallons, down from 90 and then 80. I’m an apartment dweller.

Oh really? xD Would that cause problems with the YWG? Or will they share a Tiger Pistol?

Should I get the yellow one or the green one? And how many?

Since your tank is fairly large, and I'm assuming you'll have plenty of rockwork in it, you can go with a mated pair of clown gobies. They will not share a tiger pistol - clown gobies do not pair up with pistol shrimp. 

The difference in shape between the clown goby and YWG usually would mean there shouldn't be an issue between both fish. Plus, clown gobies are perchers whilst YWGs are sand-dwellers - they occupy different territories in the tank (usually). 

Any clown goby - both YCG or GCG can be tricky to feed in the beginning. The YCGs grow up to a full 2", GCGs <2" (usually max. out around ~1.5"). 

If you're planning on adding more than one (two, for example), then add them at the same time. Getting a mated pair off the bat would be better, and you'll be more successful at keeping a mated pair, as opposed to just a random pair. 

I'd try to condition them to eat properly first before releasing them into the DT since your DT is big. You can put them in a breeder box and hang in the DT, and try offering them various types of live and frozen food, before weaning them into small-sized pellets. If you add them straight into your DT, you might have difficulty feeding (or even finding them) because your tank is too large. 

4 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Since your tank is fairly large, and I'm assuming you'll have plenty of rockwork in it, you can go with a mated pair of clown gobies. They will not share a tiger pistol - clown gobies do not pair up with pistol shrimp. 

The difference in shape between the clown goby and YWG usually would mean there shouldn't be an issue between both fish. Plus, clown gobies are perchers whilst YWGs are sand-dwellers - they occupy different territories in the tank (usually). 

Any clown goby - both YCG or GCG can be tricky to feed in the beginning. The YCGs grow up to a full 2", GCGs <2" (usually max. out around ~1.5"). 

If you're planning on adding more than one (two, for example), then add them at the same time. Getting a mated pair off the bat would be better, and you'll be more successful at keeping a mated pair, as opposed to just a random pair. 

I'd try to condition them to eat properly first before releasing them into the DT since your DT is big. You can put them in a breeder box and hang in the DT, and try offering them various types of live and frozen food, before weaning them into small-sized pellets. If you add them straight into your DT, you might have difficulty feeding (or even finding them) because your tank is too large. 

Thanks. I’m currently leaning towards the green one as my tank does not have another green fish and I heard they’re easier to feed.

RoyalGramma001

Sorry if my profile pic was misleading again. I actually do not have any cardinal fish but I love the way they move that's why it's my profile pic because they are cool! Need to change it to something different. Right now I have a yellow watchman goby and a pair of tomato clownfish.