Coral Vue Hydros

How do I start dosing?

Edwardfish

Hi y’all currently my 20 gallon long has been using up a good amount of alk and calcium just enough so my 20% weekly/bi weekly water change doesn’t keep up with the demands. How does one start dosing. I currently don’t have a auto top off but could kalk still be a option? I’ve been recommended my my reef “mentor” to use two part and add as needed but id like to know if I need to look into a auto Doser or if manual additions twice a week or something will work. Thanks!

TheKleinReef

I like BRS's recommendation to start dosing small, and monitor the changes daily. If it still drops, add a few more mLs to the dosing amount. Once the daily drop stops, keep that dosing amount but correct it the overall amount.  (I hope this makes sense :P)

That's how I've always determined my dosing amount.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, pokerdobe said:

Automatic dosing is better, but manual dosing works fine as well. 

Will be saving for one hopefully once I get tired of testing daily

11 hours ago, seabass said:

Manual dosing of two part is just fine.  Here's a good video on the subject:

Great video thanks!

1 hour ago, Edwardfish said:

Will be saving for one hopefully once I get tired of testing daily

Automation doesn't mean less testing, it just means you don't need to be there to dose.  IMO, automation pays off when you're away for extended periods of time.

Once you've determined the consumption rates, you no longer have to test daily.  However, you will continue to test, and make adjustments as necessary, until you get it dialed in.  Then you will only need to test occasionally, to see if the consumption rate changes.  This is necessary, whether you dose manually or have it automated.

39 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I manually dose in high flow area with 2 part liquid

its easy and quick.

I’ll be starting to do this soon thank you I’ve been keeping a little log of alk an cal to help with this

18 minutes ago, seabass said:

Automation doesn't mean less testing, it just means you don't need to be there to dose.  IMO, automation pays off when you're away for extended periods of time.

Once you've determined the consumption rates, you no longer have to test daily.  However, you will continue to test, and make adjustments as necessary, until you get it dialed in.  Then you will only need to test occasionally, to see if the consumption rate changes.  This is necessary, whether you dose manually or have it automated.

Oops didn’t know where the thought of less testing came from, once I dial in my manual dosing I meant to say something like once the daily additions become tedious I will be saving for a dosing pump to save time on dosing...not testing

• Like 1