Top Shelf Aquatics

CLownfish breathing rapidly

wali

HI all 🙂

My 2 clownfishes are breathing rapidly.

Both of them I got from the same LFS.

one of them are having like black pigmentation spreading all over top half of the body.

both clownfishes have stopped eating for 4 days! 😞

ammonia : 0ppm

nitrate : 10ppm

ph level : 8

any help is appreciated! 🙂

TerraIncognita
4 minutes ago, wali said:

HI all 🙂

My 2 clownfishes are breathing rapidly.

Both of them I got from the same LFS.

one of them are having like black pigmentation spreading all over top half of the body.

both clownfishes have stopped eating for 4 days! 😞

ammonia : 0ppm

nitrate : 10ppm

ph level : 8

any help is appreciated! 🙂

Photos plz.

it sounds like a parasite maybe flukes, maybe ich hard to tell, need photos and more info. You need to get them out and into a QT and treatment today or I’m afraid it will be too late.

rapid breathing is final signs IME

4 minutes ago, TerraIncognita said:

Photos plz.

it sounds like a parasite maybe flukes, maybe ich hard to tell, need photos and more info. You need to get them out and into a QT and treatment today or I’m afraid it will be too late.

rapid breathing is final signs IME

55AE0DB3-8028-472D-8C40-767CDEBC80C3.jpeg

5EC4692C-D33D-4613-95E1-67BC0B76E6EA.jpeg

3 minutes ago, TerraIncognita said:

bad case of ich my friend. get them into a QT and treated. Also a cleaner shrimp will do a lot of help.

If the fish will let the shrimp clean them but it won't get rid of the parasite in the tank.

In a qt, most treatments will kill the shrimp

• Like 1
TerraIncognita
1 minute ago, Clown79 said:

If the fish will let the shrimp clean them but it won't get rid of the parasite in the tank.

In a qt, most treatments will kill the shrimp

Yeah, I think any medications kill inverts? I didn't mean to medicate the shrimp.

Sorry was more of a side note, I always add one in the beginning with my fish, I've never had an Ich case like this and I think it's solely due to them, I've had ich like 3 times and never had to QT with a shrimp.

1 hour ago, TerraIncognita said:

Yeah, I think any medications kill inverts? I didn't mean to medicate the shrimp.

Sorry was more of a side note, I always add one in the beginning with my fish, I've never had an Ich case like this and I think it's solely due to them, I've had ich like 3 times and never had to QT with a shrimp.

A lot of clowns don't tolerate shrimp cleaning.

All my clowns have disliked shrimps even getting close to them.

Best practice is qt fish before they go into display tank in the event something arises in 4 weeks. Easier to treat and no need for 8 week fallow periods. 

• Like 2
TerraIncognita
16 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

A lot of clowns don't tolerate shrimp cleaning.

All my clowns have disliked shrimps even getting close to them.

Best practice is qt fish before they go into display tank in the event something arises in 4 weeks. Easier to treat and no need for 8 week fallow periods. 

Safest Bet for sure, a lot of people on Nano Reef however ONLY have their display tanks. A Lot of people get Nanos and having a separate 10G QT is like 2 nanos lol.

So in the case of this, I do always recommend keeping a cleaner in your display. In nature they don't have medicine to fight ich, I think they can fight it on their own in a healthy system.

OP if only the clowns and other fish are in your tank and no corals you can medicate the whole tank. If you have inverts you can't, if you dont have a QT and only have a CUC and clowns I recommmend putting your CUC in a bag and bringing to LFS to hold for you or a friend.

Otherwise go buy a QT too late at this point to not medicate.

2 hours ago, TerraIncognita said:

Safest Bet for sure, a lot of people on Nano Reef however ONLY have their display tanks. A Lot of people get Nanos and having a separate 10G QT is like 2 nanos lol.

So in the case of this, I do always recommend keeping a cleaner in your display. In nature they don't have medicine to fight ich, I think they can fight it on their own in a healthy system.

OP if only the clowns and other fish are in your tank and no corals you can medicate the whole tank. If you have inverts you can't, if you dont have a QT and only have a CUC and clowns I recommmend putting your CUC in a bag and bringing to LFS to hold for you or a friend.

It's a true story. QT tank would be ace.. however with me, the wife would push it off the table and ask me to re-evaluate my life decisions..

• Like 1
4 hours ago, TerraIncognita said:

Ich is actually deeper in the skin and cleaners are not very helpful. The white dots we see is just the bodies response to the parasite and not ich itself. Cleaners can be helpful in removing flukes and dead skin and so on.

This is why dips like peroxide are not very effetcive on ich...it just can't get to the parasite effectively while they can be used for velvet which is more superficial.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, TerraIncognita said:

Ich doesn't seem to be an issue in the wild rather a problem in home aquaria.

• Like 2