Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Filters and camera settings for photos

Brewer

I use this “Orphek Lens” available on Amazon, to take pictures with my iPhone. I try and shoot in a darkened room, with no flash, to minimize the flashback and reflection. I would think you would use the same color filters for your camera. I have pictures posted here, using my iPhone.

• Like 1

For your phone, you might try a gel filter set like:

https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Universal-Photography-Speedlite-Balance/dp/B00QN48X0Q/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1CUY11KIT7OFQ&dchild=1

Check your phone to see if it shoots in RAW, where you can make adjustments (with software) in post processing.

It might be a little easier to get good shoots with your Nikon, as it should have an automatic white balance (but also should be able to shoot in RAW).

There are a number of good threads which discuss DSLR camera settings.  I find it easiest to use the "auto" modes which make exposure adjustments for you.  I tend to use aperture priority mode (to set field of view) for corals, and shutter priority mode (to freeze motion) for fish.

While the quality will go down, I usually up the ISO setting a bit to help keep shutter speeds down.  Turn off the flash, work in a dark room, shoot straight on relative to the tank, turn off your tank's pumps, use a tripod, and use the camera's timer.

• Like 2

I use polyplab orange, yellow, and macro clip on lenses for phone and usually use auto settings on my camera but just turn white leds up and usually edit color in post to match what my eye sees.

Filters aren't a great solution IMO....blue is removed, but the other colors are tinted yellow or orange by the filters.  

I think that's like robbing Peter to pay Paul...not a real solution.  Could work for some, but the only point of taking photos for me is to show off to someone else what I'm seeing.  If the pic doesn't look like what I see, the whole point is defeated.  

I haven't had time to twiddle with a RAW file (I'm into aquariums, not photography) but I'm hoping that route can generate a better result. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Filters aren't a great solution IMO....blue is removed, but the other colors are tinted yellow or orange by the filters.  

I think that's like robbing Peter to pay Paul...not a real solution.  Could work for some, but the only point of taking photos for me is to show off to someone else what I'm seeing.  If the pic doesn't look like what I see, the whole point is defeated.  

I haven't had time to twiddle with a RAW file (I'm into aquariums, not photography) but I'm hoping that route can generate a better result. 

The idea of filters is literally that they "filter out the overly blue spectrum" that lights (notably LEDs) put out to help you capture what you "what you see" in real life.  To say filters have no place is rather non-sensical.  

If your camera (whether a phone or a proper camera) can't adjust for white balance, then filters are the next best thing, short of removing the blue light source.

How bout we see some of your pics taken with no filter 😉

-Jeff

• Like 2

A solid option for the SLR that reduces some of the blue but keeps the tank pretty true to real life is a 85b lens filter. I don't use it often, but when I'm too lazy to change the LED light settings or am shooting late night, I'll throw it on, and change the white balance to between 6000-9000k.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the feedback. Ill try our Nikon D500 and see how it goes without a filter. Its pretty hard to take any thing but a pretty damn good photo with that camera!

• Like 1

I don't know what changed with digital cameras, but I wish it would change back.  I've had digital cameras since 2000 and never a problem with tank photos until the last few years.  (@jcreefer you may want to re-read my post as your points were already addressed.)

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

85b lens filter

I'm not sure but that looks like the orange filters that come with the reef iPhone kits.  If so, and if you get the same results I did, it's functional on the blue, but doesn't leave a realistic photo, as I mentioned earlier....would need even more doctoring to be right, I think.  (Don't know crap about photo editing, so that's a guess.)

3 hours ago, mcarroll said:

I don't know what changed with digital cameras, but I wish it would change back.

If you think back, was it LED lighting?  To me, it seems like it's easier to get better pics with T5s.

• Like 3

If you have a DSLR camera, there is no reason to buy anything for your phone since you have anything you need,  you don't even need a filter for your camera (though you will probably collect some if you use it a lot along with lenses). All you need to do is shoot in RAW then pop it open on your computer or phone using any of the million RAW photo editors (I use Lightroom and Photoshop) and simply adjust your white balance to whatever temperature your lighting actually is. Even under really blue light, a modern DSLR will have no problem getting within 1/2 an EV of the correct exposure if the lighting is under 20,000K and will still get within 1 EV when it's pure UV and Royal Blue. No need to guess or buy anything else - you already have the best tool for the job.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, mcarroll said:

I'm not sure but that looks like the orange filters that come with the reef iPhone kits.  If so, and if you get the same results I did, it's functional on the blue, but doesn't leave a realistic photo, as I mentioned earlier....would need even more doctoring to be right, I think.  (Don't know crap about photo editing, so that's a guess.)

While it is true, the 85b and the iPhone clip-on are both orange filters, in my novice experience I have found their practical effects to be very different. Specifically: 1) the 85b filter is a much softer than what I have seen come with the iPhone kits (both the kit I personally own, and the various kits I have seen at the LFS); 2) similarly, the saturation of the orange is significantly less with the 85b verses the clip-on lens (think of putting on yellow tinted glasses versus looking through a yellow gel filter); 3) the DSLR has more control over the white balance compared to a cell phone. As a result, the 85b, IMO, generally takes away the blue but doesn't produce an over saturated candy look that I experience with the clip on lens. The photos below are an extreme example (taken at the bluest hour of my tank), and I think they somewhat illustrate this point (although even the DSLR is too dark and shades a bit too red). 

The two photos below are both unedited straight from the DSLR and iPhone respectively. The iPhone had a clip-on orange filter lens (CoralVue); the DSLR had a 85b filter. Both photos were shot at night (though shot on different days), while the tank was under heavy blue LED lights (note: the DSLR was taken at a later time then the iPhone photo, when the lights were even bluer).

DSLR (not significantly different that what I see with my eyes (significantly darker):

ATR_8715.thumb.jpeg.bdb819034694216e3882855623dc8b90.jpeg

iPhone (candyland vendor-mode photo):

IMG_0289.thumb.jpeg.83d201e6878eacfae1eaa25b98d16a46.jpeg

• Like 4
5 hours ago, seabass said:

If you think back, was it LED lighting?  To me, it seems like it's easier to get better pics with T5s.

I can't test the phone camera on a halide system to know if it does the same thing with that light.  But I'm pretty sure I have photos of my first LED tanks with earlier iPhones that were fine.  

I *know* I have some photos of LED tanks with my old year-2000 Casio 2MP because I dusted it off and took some "recently"...but then it didn't power up last time I tried.  😞 

(I've have had computer and backup drive failures (note the "s") recently, so laying hands on anything specific is beyond a chore....some stuff is inaccessible on computers that need repairs....and other fascinating details.  :lol:😑)

Got a new kessell 160 coming to sandwhich between the orbit marine pro ic lights... once set up will post some D500 pics shot in RAW. Hopefully they'll  be good! I placed each coral in the tank on the rocks or sand and four small maximas in the sand on the bottom too!  Tank is coming along and will be a nice grow out tank for a larger tank in a year or so ! 🙂

• Like 2