SaltCritters.com

Light and filter media for 120 gallon

Hello all! I was just wondering what some lights and filters you would recommend for a 120 gallon, Prefferable no sump, just a large side overflow. I was thinking about this for the filter:

skimmer 

filter floss

Ceramic bio media 
macro algae chamber ( with that new stick on back refugium light algae barn has )

For the light I do sort of have A bias to fluval, just because they have been great for my planted tanks. 🙂 but ah know there are so many other options out there.

not really seriously considering doing this right now, but some of my equipment is getting old and breaking and I just had my main fish in my large planted tank die, so you know I was thinking of switimchung to saltwater for it sometime in the next couple of years.

Thrassian Atoll

No sump really narrows the options.  There’s a few hang on the back skimmers.  Not sure how well the reviews are. Tunze magnet would work inside the tank.  

2 minutes ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

Is there a HOB large enough for a skimmer the size needed for a 120?  Would probably have to go with a large Tunze skimmer or something like that.  Might be some hang on the side skimmers.  No sump really narrows the options though.

Since you seem very hesitant about no sump, I could do a 20 gallon high sump, just not really sure about drilling in the tank though, as I would be going with a basic glass tank

Thrassian Atoll

I would look into a hang over overflow if you prefer not drilling the tank.  I actually just drilled a tank and broke it.  A local reef shop I bought a new one from drilled it for me though free of charge.  Having a sump will just be so much cleaner and easier.  

Thrassian Atoll

Not sure where you live but there’s so many setups for sale on my local Facebook reef page.  Now is the time to buy.  Summer time is the killer of reef tanks and the time everybody sells them.

1 minute ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

Not sure where you live but there’s so many setups for sale on my local Facebook reef page.  Now is the time to buy.  Summer time is the killer of reef tanks and the time everybody sells them.

I did indeed look, the largest I could find in my area was a 75 gallon, and I already have a 65 gallon tank that I could convert withought much work so if it ends up like that then converting may be much more soon 😉

3 minutes ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

Dang, there’s a bunch in KC if you are willing to travel.  😂

Dang! I just looked it up and I can get a serious 125 gallon for 300

dollars!! The person where I live with the 65 gallon wanted 600 dollars, and it also included a bunch low quality crap equipment I didn’t need 😅

On 8/11/2020 at 10:09 PM, FreshwaterFishMan said:

The person where I live with the 65 gallon wanted 600 dollars, and it also included a bunch low quality crap equipment I didn’t need 😅

This is where the counter-offer comes into play.  😉

I agree to hold out for the bigger tank anyway....just be patient, or pony up for a new system.   My local chain pet store usually has 125 Gallon tank+stand setups for around $600.

As for the sump and lighting.....I'd suggest a Tunze Reefpack 500 for the skimmer, filter and ATO – replaces the whole sump.

Consider Kessil 360's for the light if you want to consider something other than your Fluvals.  That brand doesn't happen to be that popular, but if they have a reef-specified version it's probably fine.   Post the specs and we can give you and idea as to how many strips you'd need.

TerraIncognita

+1 on holding out for a larger system. Trust.

If you just can't and still want a Nano.

Re: Sump, it's actually pretty easy to drill in Glass and Acrylic with the right tools. On the reverse, you could make it an AIO with some silicon and pre-cut acrylic which might be even easier. Lastly Re: Sump, you can make tons of overflow systems without drilling anything.

I'd look at making it an AIO, I think AIO's an Nano's go hand in hand.

there's a French Canadian IG'er on this forum somewhere with a REALLY beautiful complete thread on how he made his AIO.