ReefCleaners.org

Need some equipment advice!

Jobe_Reef

Been slowly getting my waterbox 20 cube mixed reef in shape. Its about 5 months old and pretty happy with how its progressing. I have a tunze nano ato and I must say it is very inconsistent with keeping the water level stable. One down side to an all in one nano, normally this slight difference wouldn't mean much but Im running an eshopps nano skimmer in the middle chamber and I know its got potential but this water level fluctuation is rendering it useless. Anybody else have this issue? basically it will overfill to the top of the float valve at its peak then another inch or two must evaporate until it kicks back on.. Ive tried adjusting the skimmer to handle the low and high of the water level but its been overflowing regardless. Would you recommend new ato or new skimmer?

Any help or insight is greatly appreciated.   

Thanks yall!

On 8/10/2020 at 12:23 AM, Jobe_Reef said:

I have a tunze nano ato and I must say it is very inconsistent with keeping the water level stable.

That type of ATO (magnetic reed-style float switch) should be able to hold the level to about 1/8" of variance.  

If it's not doing that, you have it installed wrong or it's not working correctly.

The ATO and skimmer are probably fine. 👍  (Not specifically familiar with that skimmer tho.)

I'd suggest calling or emailing Tunze USA if you're here.  Roger is great.

Otherwise post some pics of how your ATO is set up and we'll see what we can do from here.

I have the same skimmer as you, even a 1/2 inch of water movement can pretty significantly affect it's function. Any chance you can run it in the 1st chamber where the overflow/weir is? That's the only chamber that I assume the water level doesn't change in? Any skimmer is going to have a large variance in performance with a 1" or 2" fluctuation in water level. So getting a new skimmer won't solve the issue.