Pod Your Reef

hammer problems

Porkchops reef

Porkchops reef

i have had these hammers for 5 years and they are starting to lose heads for some reason. it starts looking like if a fish or crab would go by it and hits the coral it sucks in then the mouth starts to open wide and then in a few days the head  just starts to fall out. i have been testing water and my alk was high at 11 i have let every thing come down slow and then did a water change. thewater is now at

alk9.5

cal410

mag1350

temp80

sal 1.026

idk what to do when i see it happen i just cut the bad heads off and then it is ok for a bit. and it is just not on the same one i have a few colony and each one is starting to go one at a time. i know it is not brown jelly since there is no jelly on the coral at all. its like something is bugging it and it sucks in then starts to fall out. i hope i can get some advice to help it just sucks seeing something like this happen after watching it grow for five years. 

Is there anything that could be picking at it like a peppermint shrimp , crab, fish?? If not I had this happen once but my other corals where starting to so stress too. I stopped it but only by time and doing weekly 40 percent or so water changes and changing the carbon weekly.

Any pictures of the corals and a fts??

• Like 1
Porkchops reef
1 minute ago, FISHnChix said:

Is there anything that could be picking at it like a peppermint shrimp , crab, fish?? If not I had this happen once but my other corals where starting to so stress too. I stopped it but only by time and doing weekly 40 percent or so water changes and changing the carbon weekly.

Any pictures of the corals and a fts??

i will try to post pics tomorrow my lights just went out and on the fish or crabs no not that i know of i dont have peppermint shrimp since i know they like to eat hammers. everything else has been in there only new thing is a canary blenny. 

6 minutes ago, Porkchops reef said:

i will try to post pics tomorrow my lights just went out and on the fish or crabs no not that i know of i dont have peppermint shrimp since i know they like to eat hammers. everything else has been in there only new thing is a canary blenny. 

Cool.. maybe include a fish list🤙

Porkchops reef
13 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Cool.. maybe include a fish list🤙

Hippo,yellow,sail fin tang. 3 clowns,2 royal Grammy, Niger trigger,8green cromes,scooter blenny,2 engineer Goby, 2 Cleaner shrimp one coral band shrimp , candy cane cardinal Canary blenny

Porkchops reef
2 hours ago, j.falk said:

I have no doubt in my mind that it's being done by that 1 lone sexy shrimp that I gave you.  Those things are the devil.  😈

I haven't seen it since you gave it to me. But I will start looking for it lol I figured something would of ate it