Pod Your Reef

New Algae Species for the Hobby

johnmaloney

Pretty sure this is Ulva compressa. I lost my algae books so I can’t double check. The range doesn’t seem to match a cursory google search, but maybe this is a heat tolerant variety. It handles very warm water, hotter than any fish in your tank could for long. Anyway just remember who brought it to you first. 🙂 

(Will be on the site Tuesday). It isn’t a Enteromorpha species If that is what you are thinking of, these plants are much wider and substantial. We feed Enteromorpha to the Turbos and Emeralds in spring and summer. You probably were thinking about Enteromorpha weren’t you? So did I when I first saw it. A big field of it, safe from manatees.  Not sure how long it will last though, the summer gets more intense as it goes on and then fall’s rough seas ruin everything. 

I found a new species of Caulerpa too. I need a book for that, I have never seen anything like it before. It isn’t that thrilling, except for pico or nano tanks. 🙂 I have to go back and collect some more this week. Will take a picture then. Out of superstition I never collect anything the day I discover it. 

FFC677B5-2BA7-41A7-818B-581AA5F0A71B.jpeg

• Like 4