Top Shelf Aquatics

Stocking help, too much?

Innominandum

Innominandum

Would 2 small clowns(occi) and a goby be too much?

I have a fluval evo 13.5, about 10gal water after rock and sand.

Biological: 10lbs sand, 10lb dry marcorock, 1L seachem matrix 

Chemical: chemipure blue

Chaeto and dragons tounge algae

I was initially planning to go with just a single clown to keep the bioload down.

Upgrading to a larger tank in 4 years.

Thanks

Depends on what kind of goby. A tiny shrimpgoby like an antenna goby would be fine, or a clown goby. The bigger shrimpgobies would be too big. 

A small goby like a clown or yellow watchman will be fine but something like a diamond goby, no. 

You could also do something like a tailspot blenny

The clowns would be okay, but not great, as they can get territorial as they mature, so I would recommend sticking with one, although if you are really set on it it is a possibility 

Territorial issues in clowns depend on the individual personality of the fish. Plenty of people have a clownfish pair and one other fish in a tank about that size, but some people try that and it doesn't work. A single clown won't necessarily be more or less aggressive than a pair. 

The potential aggression makes a clown goby a good option. They have a bad-tasting slime coat, so bullies won't nip them. Or, well- a bully will nip a clown goby exactly once, and then never again.