Innovative Marine Aquariums

Talked into impulse buy :(

TerraIncognita
On 8/8/2020 at 6:01 PM, FreshwaterFishMan said:

Hello all! You might know I have a 20 gallon high, and in my trip to the local fish store, which I trust a little to much, I was just going to pick up some live rock and some pre cycled but not ocean rock, the employee told me I needed to cycle with a fish, and then went on to selling me a clownfish 😞 I really was just in the spur of the moment, and they told me it would work great, but now thinking about it I am just really sad that the clownfish has to end up in my hands, I did drop acclimate it and everything, but am really worried that something is gonna go terrible. I have a lid on, and he seems to be doing great but this just feels awful, not really knowing to much about them, I dint really like having a week old tank with brand new rock and a fish, please help me a bit by telling me well really any info about them

I think you've gotten all the answers and help you need for the original purpose of this post :).

I'm happy you felt so strongly for the fish. That's a great sign you will be a great reefer.

I've added fish same day starting a tank every time I've started a tank, there's different methods to cycling.

I don't think the guy at the fish store was trying to "F" you. per se, he did want your money. But I don't think he sold you a fish he thought would die or fare poorly by any means. How to get your money, and get you a fish that would live. Good compromise for him.

Not for you because it sent your emotions on a roller coaster lol. I don't think the fish minds either way.

He should've given and asked you a lot more information about your tank before selling you a fish, but again, his goal is to sell fish. So he sold you the hardiest fish and probably figured "you'd figure it out"

In fact because you love him so much, probably better he's with you.

With that said this forum should be very very very far from your main source of information. You need to do independent research. Forums I've realized in the last 2 weeks are just like a dedicated social media page where you can post and everyone else can go "ooohh, awwwww,,, and "blah blah" about everything. Once you're an experienced hobbyist they have the benefits of "tips and tricks" and really neat things, and then you can go and show your beautiful tanks as well. I think as an experienced hobbyist also it's easier to pick out the information you want from forums.

Im sure you can see already that you've gotten a lot of nice tips and tricks, but you've had to do other research on your own to decide for yourself what you should do.

But when you're just starting, I really recommend you watch the 52 Weeks of reefing from BRSTV. That will give you SO MANY helpful pieces of information and tools while you start growing out this tank. The other thing about it that is cool, is because this is your FIRST reef tank, you'll actually be able to follow along with BRSTV since they start a reef tank from the VERY beginning and then take it through 52 weeks of setting it up and getting it stocked.

You don't have to watch all of it, but I've found with everyone I've recommended to watch it, after about 15 episodes they feel like they really are starting to get it now, and then start going off and researching on their own.

YouTube has a lot of FALSE information as well. but the 52 Weeks of reefing is one of the best tools I've found to date. Other than that I'd suggest verifying all sources of information you receive.

It is YOUR reef tank, and only you can make decisions for it :).

TerraIncognita
1 hour ago, FreshwaterFishMan said:

Okay 👌 I will probbbly just get turbos cause the bigger snails the better, and you know, in a couple of years my saltwater tank setup will probably be looking quite different 😏

Not necessarily true about the snails. In a 20 Gallon tank You shouldn't have any more than maybe 10 Clean Up Crew Members (also known as C.U.C.)

Too many or a few too big and fast and they will die due to lack of source for food.

In my 13 Gallon I have 6, I wouldn't do more than 8 in a 20. But this is also my own opinion based on what I've researched.

To me the best snails in Nano's have been

Astrea

Trochus

Nassarius

I've stayed away from

Turbo

Margherita

They generally get very big, and eat algae VERY fast, and end up staving in Nano's from my personal experience.

But this goes along with my other post. You should do a lot more independent research, and try to go AS DEEP as you can each time.

i.e. if you research, "best foods for clownfish" really study like 5-10 different articles. Also try to study articles that have science or methodology connected to them.

i.e. if someone did a research experiment and got 20 clowns from the same hatching, and fed them all different foods in pairs of 2 to see their reactions over 2 years to it and size and color. That would be a VERY good and beneficial article to read. However an article promoting a SINGLE type of food, is probably not a good article, unless it explains why the other foods have been tried and tested and failed.

Do not come to this forum looking for advice on anything you haven't already researched yourself, and I promise you, you will excel in this hobby.

1 hour ago, TerraIncognita said:

Not necessarily true about the snails. In a 20 Gallon tank You shouldn't have any more than maybe 10 Clean Up Crew Members (also known as C.U.C.)

Too many or a few too big and fast and they will die due to lack of source for food.

In my 13 Gallon I have 6, I wouldn't do more than 8 in a 20. But this is also my own opinion based on what I've researched.

To me the best snails in Nano's have been

Astrea

Trochus

Nassarius

I've stayed away from

Turbo

Margherita

They generally get very big, and eat algae VERY fast, and end up staving in Nano's from my personal experience.

But this goes along with my other post. You should do a lot more independent research, and try to go AS DEEP as you can each time.

i.e. if you research, "best foods for clownfish" really study like 5-10 different articles. Also try to study articles that have science or methodology connected to them.

i.e. if someone did a research experiment and got 20 clowns from the same hatching, and fed them all different foods in pairs of 2 to see their reactions over 2 years to it and size and color. That would be a VERY good and beneficial article to read. However an article promoting a SINGLE type of food, is probably not a good article, unless it explains why the other foods have been tried and tested and failed.

Do not come to this forum looking for advice on anything you haven't already researched yourself, and I promise you, you will excel in this hobby.

Thank you for all the help, I have been doing quite a bit of reaserch in my own, and also sort of posted in here withought saying I had done the reaserch to compare what info I would get here to what I would get on another forum, the reason I was gon g with large snails is because I only plan to get like 3, and also I plan on upgrading to a 36 gallon in honestly not to long 🙂

TerraIncognita
1 hour ago, FreshwaterFishMan said:

Thank you for all the help, I have been doing quite a bit of reaserch in my own, and also sort of posted in here withought saying I had done the reaserch to compare what info I would get here to what I would get on another forum, the reason I was gon g with large snails is because I only plan to get like 3, and also I plan on upgrading to a 36 gallon in honestly not to long 🙂

well there you go 🙂 go get em 😄