Cultivated Reef

Zoa growing from a mushroom...

UpsideDownPumpkin

UpsideDownPumpkin

So I bought a mushroom a few days ago, at a discount because it came unstuck from its plug. Got it home, acclimated it, dipped it, put it with my other shrooms under evening lighting. Obviously it has since walked off but as it was settling down for the night I noticed... it has a zoa growing out of it.

Does anyone have an experience with this? So far the mushroom doesn’t seem fussed but it’s under a ledge now so will the zoa suffer from staying with the shroom? Can they be split safely? I have a spare frag plug but not a lot in terms of tools as I am still in the grow out stage of having bought frags so I didn’t think I would be fragging any time soon.

My number 1 concern is not harming the mushroom but I’d like to keep the zoa if possible.

79DA285A-E236-41E3-AB6A-66B0DEE10790.jpeg

7BDE5288-F608-4201-A3FF-6F0B88C9658E.jpeg

I suspect they're both clinging to the same bit of substrate. Can you flip the mushroom upside-down and see how they're attached? I'm pretty sure they couldn't fasten to each other. 

It won't be great for the zoa to stay there, no. It needs more light than the mushroom will let it get.

UpsideDownPumpkin
1 minute ago, Tired said:

I suspect they're both clinging to the same bit of substrate. Can you flip the mushroom upside-down and see how they're attached? I'm pretty sure they couldn't fasten to each other. 

It won't be great for the zoa to stay there, no. It needs more light than the mushroom will let it get.

Sure thing, I can take a photo of it tomorrow (it’s nearly 10:30pm here). Not 100% what it’s clinging to but because it was unstuck from its rock, I just brought it home in a bag by itself. The frag tank it was in was bare bottom but I don’t know before that, most of their coral is from local breeders.