Pod Your Reef

2 Part Dosing Issue

VitoD

I dosed Seachem Reef Fusion Part 1 (Calcium) in my tank and it created a what looked like a snow storm. What happened? I’ve been using Seachem 2 part for 2 years. This has never happened. 

The snow was precipitate.  This happens when one element pushes another out of suspension.

Insufficient magnesium can make this happen even when calcium and alkalinity numbers are normal.  Think of dosing two part as pouring the elements into a bucket.  The size of the bucket is determined by the magnesium level.  A smaller bucket means you'll lose stuff as you add things to the bucket.

The other problem is that you can't dose alkalinity and calcium at the same time, hence two part.  Ideally, you would dose them at different times of the day.  Some people go so far as to dose one one day, and the other the next day.

We (and you) need to know the level of magnesium, alkalinity, and calcium.  You shouldn't be dosing blindly.  Testing will tell you what you need to do.  It might be as simple a correcting a magnesium deficiency.

Water changes will also help correct water chemistry balance.  It will lower elevated levels and raise depleted levels.

• Like 1

Thank you, Seabass. 

I tested Ca & Alk on Sunday. Calcium - 400 (although just noticed my Calcium Red Sea test just expired 6/20) & Alk - 8.4. I have never tested for Mag per my LFS since they said my tank is small enough (20 gallon Red Sea Max Nano) that it will easily be replenished from water changes (20% every other week). Part 1 of Seachem Reef Fusion says that it has 5mg of Mag so I assumed that also replenishes the Mag as well. 

11 hours ago, VitoD said:

I dosed Seachem Reef Fusion Part 1 (Calcium) in my tank and it created a what looked like a snow storm.

1 hour ago, VitoD said:

I have never tested for Mag per my LFS since they said my tank is small enough (20 gallon Red Sea Max Nano) that it will easily be replenished from water changes (20% every other week).

The precipitate is the compelling factor.  Sounds like magnesium must still be low despite the advice from your LFS.  Although most people test for magnesium (and dose magnesium) much less frequently, as daily dosing of mag isn't necessary.

While water changes usually do help move parameters in the right direction, they typically can't make up for rapid consumption (especially if the salt mix is already low in magnesium).

1 hour ago, VitoD said:

have never tested for Mag per my LFS since they said my tank is small enough (20 gallon Red Sea Max Nano) that it will easily be replenished from water changes (20% every other week)

This is normally the case (if you stay up on water changes) .. you need to test for it though. I've found that most salts are usually way lower in mag than they state on the box.. 

8 hours ago, seabass said:

Insufficient magnesium can make this happen even when calcium and alkalinity numbers are normal.  Think of dosing two part as pouring the elements into a bucket.  The size of the bucket is determined by the magnesium level.  A smaller bucket means you'll lose stuff as you add things to the bucket.

Nicely said😊...

• Thanks 1

Ya low mag can cause issues.

The only salt i have used that had high mag was Aquaforest. It was up to 1600.

I have never had precipitation myself. I dose my 2 part 5 mins apart. Esv ensured its perfectly fine to not wait in between doses as long as its manually being dosed in the display under high flow.

In sump or back chamber dosing, they said 4 hours in between.