Top Shelf Aquatics

Will My Circulation Pump be Strong Enough for Coral?

RoyalGramma001

RoyalGramma001

Hi everyone, new to the hobby getting my first corals soon, thinking some lps corals. I have a Marineland Maxi Jet 350, will the glow be strong enough for coral?

Depends on how big the tank is, how much rock is in the tank, and whether the shape of the rockscape allows flow to go around it from where the pump is located. What LPS you want can also matter. 

A lot of LPS don't want too much flow. Some of the particularly fleshy ones can even be damaged by it, because the flow can push them against their own skeleton. All corals need at least a little flow to provide oxygen and food, but LPS like a lot less than, say, SPS. 

RoyalGramma001

It is a 20 gallon high tank with two rocks on the bottom and arch on top of that and a donut rock on top. I wanted a torch coral and maybe a ricordia or mushroom. The tank definitely has a little flow by feeling the water when cleaning. Pump is on left side wall of the tank.

Sounds reasonable. I think torch corals like a bit of flow? You'll want to double-check me on that, I don't keep them. You could always put it closer to the pump if needed. Ricordias and other shrooms don't care about flow, except that they don't want much, so they can go in most places.