SaltCritters.com

Lightning for Pocillopora, Seriatopora, Stylophora, Porites

Muffin87

My tank is very similar to a 60G cube, but slightly more shallow: 21 inch tall.

I'm mostly keeping LPS, and I have no intentions of getting into challenging SPS like Acros and Montis.

I've been considering the Ecotech Radion XR15 G5 Blue for my tank, as according to BRS it's good for a 60G LPS tank.

Is the XR15 also gonna be good for Pocillopora, Seriatopora, Stylophora, Porites?

Or is placement gonna be somewhat tricky?

Thanks a lot

6 hours ago, Muffin87 said:

My tank is very similar to a 60G cube, but slightly more shallow: 21 inch tall.

I'm mostly keeping LPS, and I have no intentions of getting into challenging SPS like Acros and Montis.

I've been considering the Ecotech Radion XR15 G5 Blue for my tank, as according to BRS it's good for a 60G LPS tank.

Is the XR15 also gonna be good for Pocillopora, Seriatopora, Stylophora, Porites?

Or is placement gonna be somewhat tricky?

Thanks a lot

I think that's one of many good lights for that tank.  No worries.

I also think your consideration that "LPS are easier than SPS" is largely incorrect.

There are a few difficult members of every grouping of corals you could name, but mostly corals are pretty easy....all groupings.

There are two important things to remember about LPS and SPS. 

First, is that those are categories of corals that have been made up by the hobby mostly just to organize sales.  It's useful that way, but they aren't ecologically relevant terms.  

The second thing, is that SPS and LPS are similar to each other.  They are also different from (nearly) all other corals in one particular way which is signified by the third letter in each their group acronyms ("S"), which in each acronym stands for "stony".  Both groups are actually sub-groupings of stony corals, which are scientifiaclly known as hermatypic corals or scleractinian corals – also known as reef building corals.  "Stony corals" is the ecologically relevant grouping that LPS and SPS all belong to....and if you have success with one grouping of stony corals (aka "stonies"), there's no really good reason to expect different success with another grouping, as long as you take similar precautions.  (Ie. learn what the corals need and give it to them)