Pod Your Reef

Anyone keep a frogfish/angler?

Lunker101

I saw my first angler/frogfish today at the LFS. Very cool and nice coloration. I saw on liveaquaria that some of them stay rather small and from what ive seen they dont move around much so i would assume they dont really need large tanks. So i was wondering if anyone has a nano-tank setup for one? I was thinking it would be kinda neat to setup a seperate tank for one.

they're messy eaters with big appetites, meaning the water get s bad very quickly, the stability issues of a small tank means that it can all go wrong a bit too easily, big skimmer might deal with it, could be worth a try

I did a search (should have done it in the first place) and got alot of info. Im thinking of moving my 20H inhabitants into a 40 breeder tank and then putting a small angler into the 20.

• 2 weeks later...

Those are cool fish, I have a Leaf Scorpionfish/Taenianotus triacanthus that eats frozen (Krill or Silversides) from a turkey Baster. It took me a years to get the bugger on frozen but it's so much easier to feed now.

• 3 weeks later...
NanoreefERguy

I have a Black Angler Leaf Fish and he loves my Nano. I have a 12 Gal. nano with plenty of live mysis shrimp for him to eat. Hes probably about the size of a dollar coin. I dont have any problems with him and its amazing to watch! I will try to get some pics up.

• 1 month later...
Undertheradar

I saw one that was kept in a 5g...but because of the mess with live feedings (and extra waste from it) the tank was plumbed into a 75gallon system to keep things stable.

MAKE sure he eats prepared foods- frozen or freez dried- your gonna hate yourself for ever getting it when you have to constantly run back and forth to the LFS for more live food

• 1 month later...
NanoreefERguy

Why do you say that Pinchy? I enjoy feeding mine and usually buy 10-12 ghost shrimp at a time and keep them in a little 2.5 gal aquarium so they last for a little while. If you love your Angler you will do anything for it! HAHA!!

The only reason I will get an Angler will be for fish elimination. They eat Damsels and, well basically anything that fits in their mouth. So that's cool.

NanoreefERguy

Only some Anglers will eat other fish, they also have to be able to catch them too. But you are right and its very entertaining to watch.

My LFS has one in a minibow 7 it is white with tan spots and they say it has been there for about three years.

Archived