ReefCleaners.org

Filter socks or no filter socks

Porkchops reef

Porkchops reef

I just want to hear from people about their opinions on using filter socks or just running a system with no socks or filter media. Just talk about what you like best. And how things look or the stuff you dont like about using or not using socks. 

I make a lot of my maintenance decisions based on what I will actually keep up with.  While I like the lower-waste aspect of filter socks, I found myself never wanting to take the tray apart to switch out and wash the socks.  So instead I use filter floss, which takes about 10 seconds to switch out, and which I'm able to do every day or two.   When I had smaller AIO tanks, I always used filter floss. 

I would not run a system without mechanical filtration personally.  I always see the floss or socks fill up with gunk and I feel good about getting that out of the tank.  

• Like 1

While filter socks do a great job but like the other poster said I hate cleaning them.. using filter floss is way easier therefore more likely to get changed on time..  first thing I did when I upgraded my system was to buy filter cups for holding floss and threw the socks in the trash..

• Like 1

They do a decent job but having to switch out mid week and clean the dirty one is a pain.

Some run them in the washing machine but i personally think thats a serious waste of water/energy for 1- 2 filter socks.

I washed mine by hand and soaked them in peroxide/water, rinse, then let dry out.

I switched to filter floss. So much easier. Cut to size, remove used, trash, replace with new.

The less work you have to do, the more likely you will stay on top of the maintenance routine. 

• Like 1

What mechanical filtration methods to use is entirely situational - what livestock do you have, what other equipment are you running, how much flow is running through your sump, how much flow is in you display, how often do you do maintenance, how mature is the system, etc.? Basically, your goals for the system and how it's run should determine what you are using - you don't just add equipment to add equipment.

What is your reason for wanting to run filter floss or filter socks now? If you don't have a good reason and your tank is doing well and maturing, why change things? Besides just the additional work, adding filter socks also has downsides - mainly that you are also removing good things (pods, snails, stars, worms, sponges, etc.) from the water column that could colonize your sump in addition to detritus.

• Like 2
Nano sapiens

A filter sock can also just be used occasionally instead of full time.  I stick one on my outflow once every few weeks when I do a deep clean for ~1/2 hour or so, then wring clean under freshwater and let dry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Elizabeth94

I used to hate socks because of cleaning them. But I soak them in a bucket with OxiClean and rinse with hardly any labor on my part. Keeps the the sump pretty clean and catches a ton of gunk. However, I am going to start using an algae scrubber so might not use socks anymore. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Nano sapiens said:

I stick one on my outflow once every few weeks when I do a deep clean for ~1/2 hour or so

Wow, this is an absolutely fantastic tip and something I had never thought to do in over 15 years of tank maintenance! This would be great for cleaning the sump without trying to siphon basically on the floor or dealing with some janky battery powered gravel vac.

You learn something new everyday - Thanks!

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll

I use socks.  I don’t mind washing them.  My sump uses 2 at once and I have to switch them out like every 5-6 days.  I have probably 6 sets.  So once I month I throw them in the washer. Still using the same ones after a year.  I have thought about switching to cups with filter floss but I don’t see a reason to.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, jservedio said:

Wow, this is an absolutely fantastic tip and something I had never thought to do in over 15 years of tank maintenance! This would be great for cleaning the sump without trying to siphon basically on the floor or dealing with some janky battery powered gravel vac.

I clean the sump once a year lol. But when I do I just use a shop vac.. take a peice of pvc and duct tape it to the end of the hose so I dont muck up the tank🤷‍♂️.. get that sump clean in about 45 seconds 😂

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

I clean the sump once a year lol. But when I do I just use a shop vac.. take a peice of pvc and duct tape it to the end of the hose so I dont muck up the tank🤷‍♂️.. get that sump clean in about 45 seconds 😂

I used to do that, suck it dry in about 8 seconds - but now it's full of way too much life so I need to use a more... subtle approach.

1 minute ago, jservedio said:

I used to do that, suck it dry in about 8 seconds - but now it's full of way too much life so I need to use a more... subtle approach.

Lol so how often do you clean your sump? I get that it can be a valuable source of diversity but when I clean it the point is to remove everything.. life included.. 😉..

Reason I ask is honestly my sump stays pretty clean.. really almost no reason to even clean it after a year.. 

Nano sapiens
5 hours ago, jservedio said:

You're welcome ☺️  Originally, I had an old small hang-on filter that I'd set up each time for the deep cleaning, but once it started to leak I figured why not put my even older filter sock to use instead.

Here's another one.  I used to remove a base rock ever two months or so to clean out underneath (by the end of a year I would have cleaned under all six base rocks).  Generally worked okay, but I noticed that some of the SPS coral tips would dry out faster than I could complete the 'removal-vacuum-put back' process.  Now I just put the sock onto the outlet nozzle, fill the turkey baster completely with tank water and blast away under the base rock a few times.  A bit of sustained swirling afterwards and much of the detritus goes over the overflow, through my empty back chambers and the pump then spits it into the sock.  Side benefit I've noticed is that this turbation process can reduce my nitrate level substantially within a day or two.

No mess, no fuss...all good 👍

On 8/1/2020 at 1:19 AM, Nano sapiens said:

You're welcome ☺️  Originally, I had an old small hang-on filter that I'd set up each time for the deep cleaning, but once it started to leak I figured why not put my even older filter sock to use instead.

Here's another one.  I used to remove a base rock ever two months or so to clean out underneath (by the end of a year I would have cleaned under all six base rocks).  Generally worked okay, but I noticed that some of the SPS coral tips would dry out faster than I could complete the 'removal-vacuum-put back' process.  Now I just put the sock onto the outlet nozzle, fill the turkey baster completely with tank water and blast away under the base rock a few times.  A bit of sustained swirling afterwards and much of the detritus goes over the overflow, through my empty back chambers and the pump then spits it into the sock.  Side benefit I've noticed is that this turbation process can reduce my nitrate level substantially within a day or two.

No mess, no fuss...all good 👍

Oh yeah, been doing that one for years. It gets nasty under there for sure! Turkey baster is definitely an under rated tool in the reef keeping arsenal.

• Like 1

I just use filter floss on my nano and cut a new piece every time I do a water change.  I just started running a mix of carbon/gfo too and that really is clearing up my water.

• Like 1

I like no mechanical filtration other than live corals.  Doing more than that, I feel like I'm depriving the corals of food that I went to the bother and expense of putting in there for them.  🙂 

I do like running a protein skimmer, which provides a little mechanical filtration...an acceptable amount.  It also provides a level of aeration.

I actually ran my current system with no filters at all for a while after I moved everything into the 125 Gallon from the old tanks.  Obviously it appealed to my lazy side, but ultimately (for the skimmer and the ATO) I added a Reefpack 500.  I run the filter module empty (just for added flow) unless I have a reason to need some extra filtration for some reason.  It can do mechanical, media, whatever...

• Like 2
coralline-adam

I run absolutely no filters or skimmers at all. Just weekly (or even biweekly) small water changes of like 10-20%.

• Like 1