Top Shelf Aquatics

CB Pygmy filefish feeding

Gourami Swami

Gourami Swami

Hello Nano-reef,

I just recently lost my mimic filefish. I was out of town and the power went off for a few hours last week, on a day where temperatures were reaching 100 degrees. I had my caretaker go to the apartment and check on things, and the water was at 90+ degrees. My poor filefish seemed OK while he was there, but the next morning when he went back, had kicked the bucket. I am guessing either the temp or lack of oxygen in the hot stagnant water, is what got him. 

I really liked that fish. So much personality in a small package, didn't bother my corals. Really sad to see him go, especially for something that I really had no control over. 

I am looking at replacing him, and like the idea of the pygmy filefish since they are captive bred, which I prefer. My question is about feeding- the mimic filefish was great, but really needed to eat twice a day. When I went away, this complicated things, all my other fish could eat once a day or even every other day and be fine, but the file was so active and hungry, I had to make sure he was getting his seaweed in the morning and frozen food at night.

Are the pygmy files the same way? Twice a day feeding mandatory? If so I may decide to pass on another filefish to make things easier. But, I really enjoy them, and I'm not sure the care is one-size fits-all with the different species. Surprisingly I cannot find much info on them except from liveaquaria, which is limited. Anybody have any personal experience with these guys they can share?

Thanks

GS