Cultivated Reef

Old but new!!!

TTexas2177

Hello!

Back about 20 years ago I had a 10 gallon reef, I did a lot of DIY with the lighting and a modified HOB filter. The tank was successful for over a year. I took a pic of my red brain and showed the LFS, they thought it was an elegance coral because they had never seen a brain with it's tentacles out. LOL

This was before LED lighting was the norm. The LFS was waiting for my tank to crash a month after I had set it up, I found out latter. When I tore my tank down I sold the red brain back to the store, one of the employees bought it for himself. 

Now to today....

A lot has changed and the small tanks and now called nano tanks!  

I am wanting to set up another tank, a 40 gal breeder with a 20 gallon long for a sump. Going to drill the 40 for the overflow and the jury is still out weather or not I will drill for the return.  I'm open to suggestions  on lighting, and to do a refugium , alge scrubber or a protein skimmer. The best place to get rock. Can't call it live rock any more. Lots has changed in the hobby in 20 years.

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

Welcome to the community @TTexas2177! It's a lot of fun diving back in and catching up. There's a lot of new gear, but the fundamentals are still the same. The introduction and advancement of reef ready LED lighting has been one of the biggest changes. We have a much better understanding of how to best feed coral and fish now too, and a lot of captive farmed livestock is becoming more accessible. Live rock is still available in the US, but it will need to come from a collection site in Florida these days.

Be sure to start a tank journal when you begin your new build. A 40gal breeder tank always makes for a nice display.

• Like 1

You can definitely get live rock. Order it online if you can't get it from a LFS. KP Aquatics is good, and there are a couple others I can't remember at the moment. A couple of them will ship the rock to you in water, which gets you the least die-off. 

• Like 1