inTank Media Baskets

Help with Aussie Gold Torch

FlytheWMark

FlytheWMark

I got an Aussie gold torch a couple of months ago.  Had some major issues in the tank several weeks later where brown jelly sprung up and took out my other torches and hammers and the Aussie was the only one to survive. I originally had it in the bottom center of my 20 gallon step tank (I marked it on one of the pictures) and it was out well extended for the first two weeks.  It's slowly been getting smaller the past month or so.  I'm not sure it was getting enough flow (at the bottom) or if the light right above it was too much for it.  I've moved it to a rock off to the side and mid-way up in the tank to see how it does.  Parameters are good ( nitrate 5, Alk 7.7-8.3 it varies a little in this tank, calcium 425, phosphate 0.1, mag 1450 a little high I know).

Any other suggestions?  I definitely don't want to lose this one.

2020-07-22 12.02.09.jpg

2020-07-22 12.02.30.jpg

2020-07-22 11.54.00.jpg

2020-07-22 11.53.38.jpg

My worry is this is the start of more brown jelly disease. I got it after bringing in a wild specimen and my torches would start to look irritated or smaller and the infection was inside at the base. I cut up a cheap one and sure enough there it was...smelled bad too. I did iodine dips but it did not save any of mine. The ones that survived were the ones who never got it.

Aussie gold's seem to be more finicky and have a poorer survival rate then other torches. At least that seems to be the concensious on other forums. I have found the indo gold to be much faster grower and forgiving.

I have all my current torches off to the side like yours is now with enough flow to make the tentacles sway a bit in different directions. Too much flow on one side can tear the flesh and lead to infection.

• Like 1
FlytheWMark
9 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

My worry is this is the start of more brown jelly disease. I got it after bringing in a wild specimen and my torches would start to look irritated or smaller and the infection was inside at the base. I cut up a cheap one and sure enough there it was...smelled bad too. I did iodine dips but it did not save any of mine. The ones that survived were the ones who never got it.

Aussie gold's seem to be more finicky and have a poorer survival rate then other torches. At least that seems to be the concensious on other forums. I have found the indo gold to be much faster grower and forgiving.

I have all my current torches off to the side like yours is now with enough flow to make the tentacles sway a bit in different directions. Too much flow on one side can tear the flesh and lead to infection.

The brown jelly I believe is gone (been close to a month).  This torch was the only one that never showed signs of it.  I've got enough flow that they move some but its hard to tell if its enough since the the tentacles aren't fully extended.  Any experience on how long they take to "adjust" to a new position?  Ive been playing with the powerhead but trying not to move the torch at all for at least a week or so.

I find torches to be one of the finickiest corals to keep.

They can take a while to adjust, i wouldn't comtinue to move it, each time it moves means more acclimating.

• Like 2

tank to tank. 

Some struggle mad with torches others dont. 

Mine seem to be hardy af and my tank seems to do well with them. 

But with the tank to tank in mind I can't keep acans to save my life for example 

FlytheWMark

Its actually doing a bit worse today as it seems to be receding (hard to tell from this pic).  Could it be getting too much or too little light now?  I run a Kessil 160, comes on at 11am on a controller and gets to 100 % quickly and no more than 15% color.  Lights go out at 10:15. This is now half way up and to the side.  I'm trying to leave it alone but it just seems to be getting worse.  Ideas appreciated.

2020-07-24 18.36.34.jpg

I agree is does not look happy. I keep mine low in the tank. I run a kessil a360 but only get up to 60%. If it were me I would go sand bed and low flow for a week and see how it goes. I have had torches for over a year then all of a sudden they seem pissed and then die off. 

39B940E1-4932-4CCD-83C3-7A764ADD1989.jpeg

On 7/22/2020 at 12:10 PM, FlytheWMark said:

Had some major issues in the tank

Please be specific?

I'm not sure it was getting enough flow (at the bottom) or if the light right above it was too much for it.

That'll kill em for sure – it's effectively "choking them by the neck" and cutting off their ability to take in and excrete.  Better to have too much flow than too little...easier to tell when you have too much and to back off a little if needed.

Parameters are good ( nitrate 5, Alk 7.7-8.3 it varies a little in this tank, calcium 425, phosphate 0.1, mag 1450 a little high I know).

5 for no3 is on the low side of OK....but also not all that critical.

How are you taking care of alkalinity?

0.1 for PO4 is about right....higher would be fine. ≥0.03 is critical for your corals at the beginning.

1450 for Mg is fine....level doesn't actually seem to matter IME.

As long as you're confident that those test numbers are accurate, I have to point at those "major issues" and I will trust your gut that the corals was also experiencing low flow.

What are you using for flow?  

Can you post a picture that clearly shows the flow in the context of your coral?