ReefCleaners.org

Watchman Goby & Cleaner Shrimp

TerraIncognita

TerraIncognita

Got a YWMG and Pistol Shrimp about 1 week ago. The Goby has been the shyest Goby i've ever had.

Today this morning he was sitting in the middle of the DT Floor breathing very very hard. I noticed in the last 2 days actually he's been breathing very hard.

On que the cleaner shrimp walked up to him and started picking at him for about 1 minute, after the minute he went into his gils and started picking at something there. I could tell it hurt because the goby was twitching and squirming, but he wasn't running away....

There one a really good "pick" and then the Goby flinched, but still didn't run, and a big cloud of IDK What came out of his Gil, like enough of a cloud when I feed frozen food type of cloud.... like wtf... type of cloud.....

The shrimp then picked a little more and then the Goby kicked him off.

The Goby is still there breathing hard.... but looks a tiny tiny tiny bit happier..... but idk... i've never seen anything like that.... the only thing I could find anywhere online is Gil Flukes which I guess are little parasitic worms.... but idk.. anyone have any idea what's going on?

Breathing hard (assuming the water parameters are fine, you should check those) sounds like a gill parasite. You should set up a quarantine and start treatment. 

It's relatively common for fish to twitch a little while a cleaner shrimp is working on them. It's not terribly comfortable for them to be picked at, but it provides some benefit, especially when the fish has a parasite. It will NOT cure the fish's infestation, though, you need to do that.