Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

New Nano reef, do I need anything more?

Vincephuket

Vincephuket

Hi everybody,

after a long break from the hobby I am ready to start my new nano. Tank and cabinet are being built and some equipment already ordered.

The tank is 60 x 65 x 45 (h) cm, 25 cm are actually the back sump, so display is 60 x 45 x 45 cm. Total 121 lt or 32 gallons, not counting the back sump.

The guests will be pls, sps and a couple of small fish.

light: AI Hydra 32 (90 w) 

skimmer: Tunze doc 9012

return pump: Sicce Syncra 3.0 

circulation pump: Tunze 6040 nanostream

additives: Fauna Marin light balling

I live in Phuket, Thailand, so I plan to get the water directly from the ocean. Actually till a couple of years ago the beach area next to my house featured a nice natural coral reef, which is now dead probably due to global heating and pollution.

I would love you guys giving me advice, critique on this plan.

thanks, picture will come soon!

I would test the water you can get from the ocean. Unless you're collecting it away from shore, it's probably pretty dirty. If you think the coral is dead from pollution, especially. 

You have a good light, and should have enough circulation, and that's really what you need. The skimmer may or may not be needed. If you don't have one already, get a lid.

Vincephuket

Thanks Tired, actually I am considering using "artificial water"... I will probably use bottled water ( I know the topic is very controversial) but there is no RO available in Phuket and buying a machine is not in the plan. People in Bangkok have done amazing reef tanks using bottled water, so I will probably give it a try... using the ocean water is a bit of a risk as you said, not only about pollution but I cannot imagine how much dead plankton, spores and unknown stuff I would add...

• Like 1

Bottled water should be OK, assuming they haven't added too much stuff to it. I think most of the things they add to bottled water for taste (calcium, magnesium, etc) are fine for reefs. Heck, tap water in some places is okay. 

Looks good for the equipment list.  I would quip since you plan on a power head in the display, if you want to save a bit of money, you can go with the Sicce 2.0 (568 gph) vs the 3.0 (714 gph).  

Jeff

On 7/11/2020 at 7:46 PM, Vincephuket said:

Thanks Tired, actually I am considering using "artificial water"... I will probably use bottled water ( I know the topic is very controversial) but there is no RO available in Phuket and buying a machine is not in the plan. People in Bangkok have done amazing reef tanks using bottled water, so I will probably give it a try... using the ocean water is a bit of a risk as you said, not only about pollution but I cannot imagine how much dead plankton, spores and unknown stuff I would add...

Can you buy distilled water from the store? 

• Like 1
Cencalfishguy56

I would shoot for distilled water if at all possible, I use it with no ill effects when I can’t get RO last minute since I use my LFS

Vincephuket

Hi guys, thanks all for the nice replies. Unluckily I cannot buy distilled water if not battery water which is too expensive. I found a bottled water, which is very cheap, and on the label it says that is RO water and ozone sterilized. The brand is VIDA. 175 Lt will cost me the equivalent of 20 €.

Now waiting for all the equipment to arrive.

• Like 1

RO water should work okay. Sterilization doesn't matter- that's for someone who wants to drink it, not for fish. Fish don't live in sterile water.

• Like 1
Cencalfishguy56
5 hours ago, Vincephuket said:

Hi guys, thanks all for the nice replies. Unluckily I cannot buy distilled water if not battery water which is too expensive. I found a bottled water, which is very cheap, and on the label it says that is RO water and ozone sterilized. The brand is VIDA. 175 Lt will cost me the equivalent of 20 €.

Now waiting for all the equipment to arrive.

That should work perfectly fine then, I always look for that on the bottling process on the label