Innovative Marine Aquariums

Mime crab or micro decorator

CD_Scapes

Got my order today and I think there could be possible mix up? Maybe these are just small micro crabs, but they almost look like mime crabs. Either way the package was perfect, 2 cold packs that were still cool and everything made it (including a few extras)! 

5D2CA8AE-826B-4D9C-BB29-AA2835D0D4F4.jpeg

I have emailed him, waiting to hear back

Oh, so tiny and cute!

Are they bumpy and rough with a pointed snout? Also, if you put them in the tank, do they attach algae to themselves? 

If they are mime crabs, they won't hurt anything. And I doubt the guy's gonna make you try to ship crabs back to him if they are the wrong ones, that seems like a recipe for dead crabs. Go ahead and put them in regardless, they've been in the bags long enough. 

18 minutes ago, Tired said:

Oh, so tiny and cute!

Are they bumpy and rough with a pointed snout? Also, if you put them in the tank, do they attach algae to themselves? 

If they are mime crabs, they won't hurt anything. And I doubt the guy's gonna make you try to ship crabs back to him if they are the wrong ones, that seems like a recipe for dead crabs. Go ahead and put them in regardless, they've been in the bags long enough. 

Yeah, I’m just scared my damsel will eat them if they will fall into the vile clutches of evil dr.brittle 

Here’s a better pic 

5E13DFE8-A960-4EC0-841B-D0796FDEC56B.jpeg

That one definitely looks like a mime crab. 

You should get them out of those bags. Acclimate them to the tank temperature by floating the closed bags, then put them in a cup of nice, clean tank water and get a good look at all of them. Did you order any macroalgae they can hide in? If you put them directly onto your rockwork so they can hide, I think any fish would have a hard time spotting them. 

Weird that the listing got changed. I wonder if the little guys are just so small right now that the shippers can't tell the two species apart.

5 minutes ago, Tired said:

That one definitely looks like a mime crab. 

You should get them out of those bags. Acclimate them to the tank temperature by floating the closed bags, then put them in a cup of nice, clean tank water and get a good look at all of them. Did you order any macroalgae they can hide in? If you put them directly onto your rockwork so they can hide, I think any fish would have a hard time spotting them. 

Weird that the listing got changed. I wonder if the little guys are just so small right now that the shippers can't tell the two species apart.

Maybe, I got a specimen container that I could put them in too with some macro...ooor I could get like a 1 gallon cube and make that it’s home 😂

A 1-gallon tiny-crab-only tank would be really nice. Pop a chunk of live rock in there from the main tank, add a bit of macros, put it next to the tank so it gets a bit of light.  Heck, you could use the water from water changes in the main tank to fill it, so the algae got nutrients. 

Or there's always the "baby fish" approach. There are lots of different solutions for people wanting to keep baby fish away from adults in the same tank, but they all boil down to a container hung inside the tank, with holes in it for circulation. 

• Like 1
johnmaloney

Sorry for the issues everyone shoot me an email and we will refund any wrong species sent, they are sold under the same heading now to prevent confusion. 

1 hour ago, johnmaloney said:

Sorry for the issues everyone shoot me an email and we will refund any wrong species sent, they are sold under the same heading now to prevent confusion. 

Can do, still cool crabs though