Pod Your Reef

Coral?anenome?

Dr.Bones

I have several of these in my nano.I have tried to get a good clear shot without pulling one out of the tank.These creatures are pink/beige at the trunk,transparent arms,white tips.I know they came from a piece of Figi live rock.The do move about the tank to find a spot to roost,then stay put.I have seen one thats the diameter of a nickle,but cannot get a shot without moving it.They seem to filter feed just fine but when offered a bit of brine shrimp it will take it greedily.I have three shots,they are dead centre in all the photos.

Josh,many thanks.These damn things are everywhere.I did a search at a few sites and google and could not get a exact match.Can you give me more info on these?Are they a pest...get rid of them....like aptasia?At first,when they were tiny,I thought they might be Caulastrea trumpet coral.I soon realised thats was an error.

Regards

Brad

Farrah,I do not intend to kill anything.If they are a pest,they go to the fuge with the aptasia.I do have some gorgos in my nano and if Josh is correct I will need to remove these critters from that system.

if it is the anemone it "smothers" gorgonians and is harmful to corals. It seems like it like branchy rock, and corals (i.e. gorgonains :) ) If it moves, it's an anemone, and if it doesn't move it may not be an anemone, which makes a little sense, since you have to feed this anemone... notice a smaller amount of pods? Lol!

I just re-read the first post, now I'm sure of it, it's an anemone, however I'm not sure what anemone it is, FEED IT A LOT, if it gets bigger it may be a a baby Dofleinia, that hasn't formed the color completly (pink dots on the trans. arms) If it doesn't have arms by the mouth (only on the sides) DON"T TOUCH IT, it could be a baby club-tipped anemone, EXTREMLY TOXIC TO PEOPLE!

We keep lots of things that are toxic in our aquariums, mostly unknown to the person keeping them. It's not a reason to kill it... just don't eat it :P You should always be cautious when handling stuff in your tank anyway.

As for the id, I believe that it is related to the club-tipped/strawberry anemone (Cornactis). They are both coralimorphs, which are not true anemones. They are more closely related to shrooms. I don't think this guy is specifically the club-tipped/strawberry anemone because if I am not mistaken these guys are temperate, and they seem to have hitchhiked on rock from fiji (tropical). So, I'd say it is something similar, possibly Pseudocornactis . It's very cool, and I don't think they get very large. I'd be jumping for joy for similar hitchhikers. These guys are beautiful, and you can't find them at your LFS. If you don't want them, you can send them to me and I'll pay for shipping.

Pseudocornactis example

It is not a Club Tipped anemone, or any type of anemone, I forget what they are called though. When I first had got some live rock in, a few pieces had them on the rock. I was told that they are not good as they will sting alot of the corals, polyps ect And because they multiply fast they will end up all over the tank killing everything close to it. Two ways to get rid of them was to get cleaner shrimps because they will feed on them, or squirt them with Calcium.

i believe it's not an anemone of any type. it's an LPS. the 2nd pic clearly shows the skeleton. i think it's hidden cup coral. do they come out more at night? try feeding them. they'll love it if i'm right.

Farrah,if your serious about wanting some I will be happy to send some,my tank has dozens.Let me know by PM.

Thanks to all for your imput.I am going to attempt to get some cleaner macro shots asap.

B

Archived