Coral Vue Hydros

Was this Brooklynella in clownfish?

niko2021

Hello, everyone. Happy fourth of July. 

I recently started a Nano reef tank utilizing a Fluval Evo 13.5g. The tank has been up for three months, cycled well, and perfect water parameters (tested weekly by a highly trusted lfs and by myself at home) It started with a true percula clownfish and then a black and white occy clownfish. Both have been doing well for the past 2 months, only going through their normal pairing/twitching behaviors. In that time, I've begun to add corals, (a hammer, frogspawn, acan, and trachy brain coral) all of which have been doing amazingly well (brain coral expanding more than that of the LFS, even they were impressed when I showed the photo, and the acan even growing a few heads in a short period of time)

Fast forward to 3 days ago. I went to a very popular LFS that specializes in unique corals for the first time. I saw a splatter hammer coral which amazed me. I didn't want to get it since I have a hammer already, but I couldn't resist. I took it home (Wednesday) after having the LFS dip it in RX, and got it into my tank. It immediately opened up, and I was happy with it. This LFS is very popular online and in the region, and I assume they have high inventory turnover due to the amount of sales. I also had my trusted LFS test my water the day before this, and it was again, perfect. 

On Thursday night, I noticed by black and white occy clown losing his color at night. He was turning pale, he also wasn't eating. It was at night that I noticed it, and just assumed it was their "night" color shifting. His lack of appetite did make me question his health, but I assumed it was stress (possibly from the perc)

Friday night, the occy clown passed. He was smaller than the perc. At the time, I did not assume it was any disease. I figured maybe he was stressed from the percula (though they've been together for 1.5 months and had no major problems together, only a little aggression around feeding time) At this time, the percula was eating, but showing white spots on his upper portions. I did nothing at this point, as he was swimming perfectly. 

This morning (Saturday) the percula passed. Sad morning, as he was my first fish in this tank, and was a very strong swimmer. He would often swim around by fingers whenever I worked in the tank, was very playful, and was picture perfect in coloration/shape. 

My thoughts, was this brooklynella? Possibly from the splatter hammer added just 3 days prior? Please see below. After researching this disease, it seems it could have came from the hammer coral (I didn't add the LFS water, but I'm sure some did transfer on the coral itself) Right now I plan on doing an 8 week fallow period, and that's it. Other than that, the corals and snails (2 hammers, frog spawn, acan, brain, and 3 nassy and 1 turbo snail(s) are all doing amazing. I assume these can be left in the tank during fallow and won't propagate the disease. Please let me know your thoughts, sorry if the pics aren't the best. The clowns didn't look too terrible in terms of their coat "sliming" but I I guess I'll let you decide. I alluded to the high inventory turn over due to popular LFS's, do you think it's better to go to lower turnover LFS's? would that reduce the possibilities of contracting a disease? I know I need a quarantine tank, but I can't have one set up for quarantining corals (which would literally be the same exact setup I have) The least I can do is buy those cheap AIO 20 dollar petco systems and set it up on an emergency basis (even then its not a 100% survivability) Please let me know if there is any additional actions I must take. I read that just to go fallow for 8 weeks and it'll die off, no new additions (fish, coral, snails, etc). I also will continue feeding a few pellets a day to keep the nitrogen cycle going/snails happy. Thank you. 

In the corner (black and white occy) sorry hard to see

IMG_4556.PNG

Occy after his passing

IMG_4551.jpg

Percula

Percula closeup

The culprit?

IMG_4532.jpg

I can't tell by the photos but the fallow period for both brook and velvet is 6 weeks. So just leave the tank without fish that long and you should be okay. 

• Like 1