ReefCleaners.org

Hermit Crabs Died

darksun92

Hi! Today almost all my hermit crabs suddenly die I had 5 and only 1 is alive and is not eating and mostly doesn't move also some acros started to bleach and some montis don't show polyp extension my params are

Salinity 1.025/34ppt

Temp. 28/29.5

Kh 8.3

Ca 420

Mg 1350

No3 20

Po4 0.01/0.05 

I use water for human consumption with 12TDS feed with mysis shrimp, thanks in advance! 

5 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Where is the water from? 

I would probably run a little carbon to start. 

Is water from a well know brand in my country but is for human consumption not RO/DI

Elizabeth94

How long have you kept these hermits and acros before they started doing this? 

Your parameters don’t look bad. Im guessing some sort of containment got in your tank. + 1 on carbon. 

20 minutes ago, Elizabeth94 said:

How long have you kept these hermits and acros before they started doing this? 

Your parameters don’t look bad. Im guessing some sort of containment got in your tank. + 1 on carbon. 

I added the hermits 5 months ago and the acros 1 month ago and just today happened that. I'll take some photos on the acros 

this ones are bleaching or loosing tissue

BB9EC2A8-BEB0-4BB2-8B11-B01015D759A1.jpeg

EFA3576C-A846-413D-B6A1-94FACBB53DF9.jpeg

DE725BD0-A2B5-47EE-B9C6-F8BF4A75B6F1.jpeg

17A3A481-3020-44C4-AFC3-CF377F3B631F.jpeg

Goniopora not extending 

933395AB-3A3C-4B87-AD06-0808A38B5A54.jpegbut this ones are doing great 

47026A4F-B21A-4029-81D4-B947E682149F.jpeg

BBFD7DB4-9674-42C2-B777-929FF6CC8C32.jpeg

8EF6FD0E-8D65-4F15-AB7F-3D6065676372.jpeg

This is bleaching too 

93D5A94E-812C-403D-A553-78BE3DD55317.jpeg

MainelyReefer

Low TDS water is typically aggressive in nature, perhaps before it is bottled it travels through a copper distribution system(piping). If there is a trace amount of copper in your top off perhaps it built up overtime.  Or you got a bad batch as it seems like a sudden event, so if it is contamination it might be more likely it was a singular recent addition that was polluted.  Can you test for copper?  Any shrimps or other inverts  surviving? In the US you can legally have up to 1.3 mg/l in a water supply.  I’m thinking inverts die at lower concentrations than that

• Like 1
Elizabeth94
1 hour ago, GraniteReefer said:

85f sounds too hot to me

Wow. Im a dumb American and didn’t even notice that since its not in fahrenheit. 

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Wow. Im a dumb American and didn’t even notice that since its not in fahrenheit. 

haha same!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

When was the last water change? Recently at all?

Any recent changes at all?

Not really, just turn down a bit my prime hd in some colors. my last WC was one week ago.

2 hours ago, GraniteReefer said:

Low TDS water is typically aggressive in nature, perhaps before it is bottled it travels through a copper distribution system(piping). If there is a trace amount of copper in your top off perhaps it built up overtime.  Or you got a bad batch as it seems like a sudden event, so if it is contamination it might be more likely it was a singular recent addition that was polluted.  Can you test for copper?  Any shrimps or other inverts  surviving? In the US you can legally have up to 1.3 mg/l in a water supply.  I’m thinking inverts die at lower concentrations than that

Yes my temp is a bit high but my tank is just 
31L and chillers are made for 100L or more and are very expensive, I don’t know what to do for it.  
only one turbo snail survived and one hermit  crab, so the copper can be the reason to bleach corals too?

once I read that marine pure balls dissolve some amount of aluminum or copper I don’t remember what exactly was, do you now something about it? 

MainelyReefer
16 minutes ago, darksun92 said:

I don’t know what to do for it.  

A fan for evaporative cooling, they even sell cheap aquarium specific fans

1 hour ago, GraniteReefer said:

A fan for evaporative cooling, they even sell cheap aquarium specific fans

I have a 6” fan for maintain that temp 28/29 without it it would rise to 32 or more