Pod Your Reef

Requirements for automatic water change system?

NanoSean

Okay, so I'm venturing into uncharted territory and am looking into the possibility of using an automatic water change system.  

I am waiting on deliveries but am in the process of setting up a Waterbox Cube 20 - no additional sump.  Also, the plan is to use an ATO with a 5 gal resevior.  Fyi, I don't want an RODI system - and yes, I know I would save money.  (Did I mention I once flooded the living room with an RODI ATO and had to replace all the carpeting? Lol).  I'm fine buying water for a setup this size; even going to give boxed ocean water a try.

Anyway, the Neptune DOS caught my eye as a possibility for automatic water changes.  Question...if I go that route, is an Apex controller required as well? If so, which one?  Any other necessary equipment that I'm missing?  

Thanks!

31 minutes ago, jservedio said:

I can't solve your automatic water change issue, but you should put your RODI fill bucket in the tub so you don't flood stuff. You will never flood again.

Thanks.  Just have zero interest in RODI or solves for that issue. Probably shouldn't even have brought it up.

However,  I think I found an answer to question about Neptune DOS.  Watching a ReefDudes YouTube video, looks like Apex controller is required.  Is that the best option?

mitten_reef

There’s an auto water change. I forgot the brand. Xaqua/XPaqua? Or smartATO? I don’t remember. They make standalone AWC system.  Might wanna look that up before handing over a ton of money to Neptune. 

alternatively, ecotech Versa can be used for AWC if you have two of them - they can move a lot of liquid in short amount of time.  Also a standalone option, just have to figure out how to disable ATO. Some other guy mentioned once that he would just add new water in first, then remove equal amount afterward (eliminate disabling ATO), but slightly less effective as far as dilution ratio goes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
56 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

There’s an auto water change. I forgot the brand. Xaqua/XPaqua? Or smartATO? I don’t remember. They make standalone AWC system.  Might wanna look that up before handing over a ton of money to Neptune. 

alternatively, ecotech Versa can be used for AWC if you have two of them - they can move a lot of liquid in short amount of time.  Also a standalone option, just have to figure out how to disable ATO. Some other guy mentioned once that he would just add new water in first, then remove equal amount afterward (eliminate disabling ATO), but slightly less effective as far as dilution ratio goes. 

With the cost of a two versas, you could probably find a retired infusion pump (the kind they used for dialysis) which has two peristaltic heads mounted to a single shaft and they are rated for far more usage than a consumer level pump. I know a few people used them on bigger tanks, but off the top of my head don't know anyone successfully using one long term on a nano (or any auto water change system for that matter).

OP - just know an AWC is not foolproof and isn't a set and forget thing. It'll require constant adjustment and calibration, especially if you use dosing pumps. If you are wary of an RODI unit, the risk level for an AWC is far greater. There is a reason you don't normally see water change systems at all on a nano when all you need is a couple of 5g buckets and 15 minutes a month.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, jservedio said:

With the cost of a two versas, you could probably find a retired infusion pump (the kind they used for dialysis) which has two peristaltic heads mounted to a single shaft and they are rated for far more usage than a consumer level pump. I know a few people used them on bigger tanks, but off the top of my head don't know anyone successfully using one long term on a nano (or any auto water change system for that matter).

OP - just know an AWC is not foolproof and isn't a set and forget thing. It'll require constant adjustment and calibration, especially if you use dosing pumps. If you are wary of an RODI unit, the risk level for an AWC is far greater. There is a reason you don't normally see water change systems at all on a nano when all you need is a couple of 5g buckets and 15 minutes a month.

Plan on doing weekly changes, not monthly.  Also, want to use resevior for ATO as well as AWC, limiting max water spill liability. 

1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

Thanks...more research ahead!👍

• Like 1
3 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

There’s an auto water change. I forgot the brand. Xaqua/XPaqua? Or smartATO? I don’t remember. They make standalone AWC system.  

Did you mean the AutoAqua AWC plus ATO system?  Looks pretty ideal at a fraction of the cost. With some nice built in safety measures!

• Like 1
mitten_reef
7 minutes ago, NanoSean said:

Did you mean the AutoAqua AWC plus ATO system?  Looks pretty ideal at a fraction of the cost. With some nice built in safety measures!

Ha, that’s the one. Seen a few posts about them on here, but I don’t think any of them are active/updated threads.  I just couldn’t come up with the name, I know it had aqua something in it. 😅