Pod Your Reef

Mounting ballast under t5 reflector?

5*Chris

Wiring up my miro-4 T5 retrofit so hopefully someone can chime in quickly. 

Can I mount the ballast under the bulb and reflector? Should I be worried about heat? It would be on the other side, so the mounting tab won't stick out, but it would basically sit like this....

IMG_20200626_133008.thumb.jpg.e9207bab8bc4a4feb090a437e6450076.jpg

Thanks in advance

I would not suggest that. Heat brings down efficiency and so does bulb temp. Keep ballasts and bulbs as cool as possible and doing it that way will not help. 

Keeping temps down results in longer ballast life,bulb life,par ect ect ect. 

20 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

I would not suggest that. Heat brings down efficiency and so does bulb temp. Keep ballasts and bulbs as cool as possible and doing it that way will not help. 

Keeping temps down results in longer ballast life,bulb life,par ect ect ect. 

Oh dang, that's what I was thinking. But I already mounted under and finished. I do plan on a fan blowing through, which is why I left one side (wall side) open. 

I would look more into the optimal operating temp for prolonged life. Thankfully HEP ballasts are some of the best you can buy. You also don't want to melt anything and cause a potential fire. 

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

I would look more into the optimal operating temp for prolonged life. Thankfully HEP ballasts are some of the best you can buy. You also don't want to melt anything and cause a potential fire. 

Thanks, I will definitely look into it. At first I didn't plan on mounting it where I did, but after building everything I didn't like the planned spot. I might end up rebuilding anyway, I used extra 3/4 wood I had and would really like the sides to be 1/4 to save space. If so I'll find a better spot for the ballast.