Coral Vue Hydros

Clownfish stays near AIO overflow

SWTanker

Hello everyone,

Complete noob to the saltwater world here. Have had a few FW tanks in the past but always wanted a SW and was gifted a Fluval Evo 13.5.

I have been stoked getting it set up. I went from stock filtration to the intank media basket in chamber 1 with filter floss, chemipure, purigen and then some seachem matrix and the second chamber is full of marine pure balls. 

I cycled the tank for a while with mostly dry rock and live sand with some stability. I got a small chunk of liverock from my LFS to contribute some ammonia. 

Finished the cycle over fiveish weeks (tested the water every other day), added a single ocellaris and a wheeler goby (cause it was in the plan but I hadn’t ever seen one at my LFS so I jumped on it) it’s been a week, the Wheeler goby stays in his cave most of the time but comes out to eat and is at least visible. But my ocy sits by the overflow of the tank and rarely ventures out. He’s tiny probably not even an inch. Is this a habit he will grow out of as he gets more comfortable? Did I do him a disservice by getting him alone instead of as a pair? Would adding a mate help him become more comfortable? I’d want to wait for a while to add much else to allow the bacteria to continue to beef up. But right now the tank just looks empty with a goby that hides and a clownfish that stays way up in the top corner. Ha 

Also I didn’t realize that I posted this in aquarium journals and have no idea how to delete it. My bad. Reposted in general discussion. 

It is hard to say why your clown is hanging out there but not unusual for and fish to pick a spot and chill there. All fish need time to adjust to their new home. Maybe he likes the flow. Clowns can be kept as singles. I think most people like having two more than it being a requirement. You will get more responses with more details. How long is awhile? What are the actual test results? For now as long as both your fish are eating they should be fine. Are you still testing?

• Thanks 1

They both went into the tank last Thursday so it’s been exactly a week. They both still eat. Been feeding once a day, omega one flakes/pellets and frozen brine shrimp once a week. Attached a pic of each. The clown was first hanging out at the front of my rock, but has migrated to the back corner since Saturday. 

I have a power head under the output pump. I’m wondering if maybe that’s too strong. It’s a hygger mini wave maker on the lowest output setting. 

I am still testing. I have been testing every other day.  

Ammonia 0.25

nitrite 0

nitrate 10  (am planning water change tomorrow)

salinity  1.024

my pH swung for some reason today. It had been steady at around 7.8-8 but today it was probably around 7.6 the API test kid isn’t the best under 7.8. I increased the surface agitation some and lowered my water because the surface wasn’t skimming very well. Hoping that will improve the gas exchange and pH. 

589DE384-A5AC-4765-A8B4-D28A65662CE6.jpeg

C32AC293-AAB9-4E9C-B0F8-86FE944E23C2.jpeg

Will do! Thanks I really appreciate the help! 

If we ever go back to normal life I have Saturday off so I’m trying to get my water change schedule on time with that. Did my change today and now it’s all at 0. 

Since the water change the clown has gotten a little more adventurous but does quickly retreat back to that corner so he is probably just getting adjusted. Sorry for the dusty glass in the picture haven’t gotten around to wiping down the outside after the water change. 

Any thoughts on a potential third fish? I was initially thinking a tailspot blenny once the tank gets a little further along if I can keep parameters solid. 

14 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Keep up with your waters changes ammonia should be zero! Ammonia will burn the fishes gills. Don't worry about PH.

5E611305-3D65-4AA1-B7FF-6B5D97C428FB.jpeg

It's not unusual for ocellaris clowns to pick a spot and "host" it. I've seen them do it to powerheads, return nozzles, algae clips, the glass itself, etc. Sometimes it seems like they'll host anything but that nice anemone you put in the tank for them. Give yours some time to adjust; in my experience I've found clowns tend to get bolder as they get larger (or figure out that the big shadowy figure means feeding time).

I used to have a black and white ocellaris pair in a 34g AIO who would host the top of the glass right near the return intake. They would also nip at my hands/arms when I put them too close. Loved those lil' guys.

Nice aquascaping, by the way!

The clown is probably still afraid of you. You go to check on him and he swims away. Seriously he sounds fine. I can’t even decide what my next fish should be so can’t offer any thing there. Plus it my be awhile before Nano fish are fully stocked. Just keep check that ammonia every couple of days. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1