Cultivated Reef

Feeding Goniopora

Break

Planning to have goniopora serve as the showpiece in the pico tank I'm currently setting up.

I've had luck keeping them in the past few years with regular feedings of Reef Roids and some additional phyto/zoo-plankton products, but interested in hearing from those with longterm success keeping goniopora, particularly in tinier tanks. I'm excited to give Benereef a try - my initial plan is to use a mix of Reef Roids and Benereef 1-2 times per week.

It still blows my old grognard reefing mind that goniopora can now be so successfully kept in the home aquaria. Long ago, I was the employee at the LFS warning people they might not want to purchase that flowerpot coral 😅

What are you all feeding your goni's and how frequent? Bonus points for coral pics 😉

• Like 2
mitten_reef

Reef roid is a great food choice for goni.  TLF makes goniopower, it shows good response. But the food doesn’t mix well and leave a lot of “floater” in the tank that goes right into the filter (not good), I tried one jar and decided I’d stick with roid.   They have “tiny mouth” so they pretty much eat what sps eat. 
94D0F1B9-2FD9-4BC2-B58A-86E8D2F456B1.thumb.jpeg.6d01425d963d403062dbea3b79859195.jpeg2AC3C110-0554-4247-AE6A-5F9DA1C4F280.thumb.jpeg.2165de21b8f002d9eedf54e6aa3ee7b3.jpeg

• Like 2
12 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Ha, I also use a scoop from a test kit, but mine is red. I pretty much feed the same way when I'm not being lazy (it's easy to broadcast feed when your tank is as tiny as mine), but after 10 minutes I have the circulation come on while the return stays off for an additional 10 minutes.

Bought some sweet new feeding syringes to make things easier. I was stoked to find that BRS makes a 1 mL syringe - where has this been all of my nano-reefing life!?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, WV Reefer said:

I have a red and a green goniopora and I do not feed them at all. 🤷🏻‍♀️

2560C672-8F91-4353-89B3-01478FEF3704.thumb.jpeg.54692ba1edca44fcc6afcc4cadb89963.jpeg

957315A7-F136-4786-B67C-0DE4CBB4A9D6.thumb.jpeg.2a9226591601533b7e09b0a6a754005e.jpeg

Nice! Which of your tanks are those in?

I can see feeding not being as much of an issue in a system with no skimming; a productive refugium would ease matters even more.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Break said:

Nice! Which of your tanks are those in?

I can see feeding not being as much of an issue in a system with no skimming; a productive refugium would ease matters even more.

They are both currently in my 75 gallon