SaltCritters.com

Most quiet circulation pumps?

Sailfish

Most quiet circulation pumps?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. The most quiet circulation pump, that you have ever tried?

• Hydor Koralia
    • Tunze Turbelle Stream
    • EM Vortech
    • Sicce XStream
    • AI Nero
    • Rossmont Mover
    • Maxspect Gyre
    • IceCap Gyre
    • Tunze Wavebox
    • Red Sea ReefWave
    • IM Wavelink
    • Reefbreeders RP-M
    • Wav Link1

Hey!

Long time, since I last posted here. Been busy with life and becoming an adult. Failing terribly with the latter, but probably good for my future happiness. 

Been reefing since I was 14 years old. Now I'm 29. Started with Hydor Koralias, then Vortech, then Gyre. The most annoying thing for me now with reef tanks is noise. It's a real buzz kill, distracting me from the beauty of our corals and fish. I think I remember my first Hydor Koralia pumps being more quiet than the Vortechs, and the Gyre I'm running now, although it has been a while. Tempted to order me some new Hydor Koralias again, hook them up to a wave controller, and replace my Gyre. Rossmont Mover and Sicce XStream also looks promising.

Tried searching online for some objective noise measurements for the various available circulation pumps available today. Seems like people are mostly concerned with return pumps, when it comes to noise. Strange to me, as my circulation pumps have always been the biggest source of noise in all of my setups.

Seems like something for BRS Investigates?

2 hours ago, 5*Chris said:

My IM Wavelink is dead silent. 

Great! I'll add it to the poll 😊 Dead silent, even alternating 0-100%? Do you know if it has been tested by BRS, with their flow pattern test? What is your impression of it? 

With the Maxspect Gyre 230 I can only bear the noise of 30% constant speed, or 10-20% alternating (for longer or shorter periods). Sucks having a pump with insane capacity, while being able to only access less than 1/3 of it...

Similar with the Vortechs, but maybe they have a slightly softer on/off feature?

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Sailfish said:

Great! I'll add it to the poll 😊 Dead silent, even alternating 0-100%? Do you know if it has been tested by BRS, with their flow pattern test? What is your impression of it? 

With the Maxspect Gyre 230 I can only bear the noise of 30% constant speed, or 10-20% alternating (for longer or shorter periods). Sucks having a pump with insane capacity, while being able to only access less than 1/3 of it...

Similar with the Vortechs, but maybe they have a slightly softer on/off feature?

Tbh, other than cycling through speeds, I haven't set and left it at 100%. I've owned a MP10 and a Maxspect gyre, so not silent in comparison to them, but just silent in itself. Only time it makes any type of sound is when it's doing it's thing in reverse, but that's only for like 10 seconds. Even with that it's very rare that I'm next to it and can hear it and my tank is right next to my couch. I keep it between 50-60%, on a 40b setup in a peninsula. Didn't do a flow pattern test, but flow is great and pattern seems wide, I'm very happy with it.

I did get a Reefbreeders RP-M for Father's day, not because I felt like I was missing anything, but wanted to try something out.

I also have a KPS, extremely quiet, but after a couple months something went wrong with it. Set at 100% seems like the flow from a Koralia 240. Flow also seemed very narrow when it worked (in a Lagoon 25 and 29g). So I can't personally recommend it. 

9 hours ago, Sailfish said:

Hey!

Long time, since I last posted here. Been busy with life and becoming an adult. Failing terribly with the latter, but probably good for my future happiness. 

Been reefing since I was 14 years old. Now I'm 29. Started with Hydor Koralias, then Vortech, then Gyre. The most annoying thing for me now with reef tanks is noise. It's a real buzz kill, distracting me from the beauty of our corals and fish. I think I remember my first Hydor Koralia pumps being more quiet than the Vortechs, and the Gyre I'm running now, although it has been a while. Tempted to order me some new Hydor Koralias again, hook them up to a wave controller, and replace my Gyre. Rossmont Mover and Sicce XStream also looks promising.

Tried searching online for some objective noise measurements for the various available circulation pumps available today. Seems like people are mostly concerned with return pumps, when it comes to noise. Strange to me, as my circulation pumps have always been the biggest source of noise in all of my setups.

Seems like something for BRS Investigates?

A larger pump ran on low settings will always be quieter and anything that doesn't pulse on and off tends to be quieter (pulsing without completely turning off is quieter and increases pump longevity). Also vortechs can be louder since they have part of the pump on the outside, so no dampening from the water. Also pumps need to slime up to get quiet 🙂 

Anyways I went with Tunze as I have some I can not hear (just tried to put my ear up to it) but I only run them at 25%, they are powerful but controllable ones cost a pretty penny although they can go on a very wide range of tank sizes so it's something you can upgrade with. Tunze has a big sale on black friday usually. 

My Vortechs, gyres, KPS, Jaebo's are all audible if you get close enough though not loud. 

Specifically talking about this one:

https://www.marinedepot.com/tunze-turbelle-nanostream-6055-controllable-pump-1450-gph

8 hours ago, 5*Chris said:

Tbh, other than cycling through speeds, I haven't set and left it at 100%. I've owned a MP10 and a Maxspect gyre, so not silent in comparison to them, but just silent in itself. Only time it makes any type of sound is when it's doing it's thing in reverse, but that's only for like 10 seconds. Even with that it's very rare that I'm next to it and can hear it and my tank is right next to my couch. I keep it between 50-60%, on a 40b setup in a peninsula. Didn't do a flow pattern test, but flow is great and pattern seems wide, I'm very happy with it.

I did get a Reefbreeders RP-M for Father's day, not because I felt like I was missing anything, but wanted to try something out.

I also have a KPS, extremely quiet, but after a couple months something went wrong with it. Set at 100% seems like the flow from a Koralia 240. Flow also seemed very narrow when it worked (in a Lagoon 25 and 29g). So I can't personally recommend it. 

What do you mean with "...so not silent in comparison to them (Vortech MP10 & Gyre), but just silent in itself"? Does the IM Wavelink make more or less noise?

That's the thing though. I seem to hear pumps, that other people are generally not bothered by. Maybe because I'm living by the Norwegian coast, and not in the city. 9/12 months are dead silent outside, except the sound of gentle waves hitting the beach as well as a seagull now and then.

We all also have different levels of hearing, so what is not noticeable for some, may be for others. That is why I wished there would be some objective tests, using standardized equipment, for all the different pumps. Sounds like a perfect subject for BRS Investigates!  A good quality audiometer, set 50 cm away, pointing straight at the base of the pump. Would be important that they'd let all the pumps break in for a week or two, for the results to be applicable for home reefers.

If I know BRS, they'd probably go several levels deeper, measuring the frequency of sound, and test at different distances from the tank as well. Basic physics have it that higher frequency sound waves (air waves) decay faster, than lower frequency. Does it affect how "loud" we perceive pump noise? Are there pumps that are loud (ex. 45 dB?) at 20 cm distance, but quiet (ex. 19 dB?) at 1 m? Are there pumps that are medium-loud at 20 cm, that stay almost equally audible at 1 m or even 2 m? Graphs, please 😁

6 hours ago, Tamberav said:

A larger pump ran on low settings will always be quieter and anything that doesn't pulse on and off tends to be quieter (pulsing without completely turning off is quieter and increases pump longevity). Also vortechs can be louder since they have part of the pump on the outside, so no dampening from the water. Also pumps need to slime up to get quiet 🙂 

Anyways I went with Tunze as I have some I can not hear (just tried to put my ear up to it) but I only run them at 25%, they are powerful but controllable ones cost a pretty penny although they can go on a very wide range of tank sizes so it's something you can upgrade with. Tunze has a big sale on black friday usually. 

My Vortechs, gyres, KPS, Jaebo's are all audible if you get close enough though not loud. 

Specifically talking about this one:

https://www.marinedepot.com/tunze-turbelle-nanostream-6055-controllable-pump-1450-gph

Yes, I would tend to agree with you that a larger pump run at lower speeds will be more quiet, than the same design (model) of pump in a smaller version. It's simply a matter of larger blades not needing to spin as fast, to move the same amount of water.

The problem we run into by oversizing our pumps is that the manufacturer tend to keep the same number of power intervals in their different sized pumps. This results in bigger difference in flow between intervals, as you go up in size. My Gyre 230 can only run on 10-20% intervals, for it to be audibly tolerable for me. Alternatively constant 30%, but it is less desireable for detritus build-up and general coral health. Instead of 10 intervals, to vary my flow, I have 2. How many intervals do you have with your Tunze Turbelle Nanostream 6055, when max is 25%?

Yes, magnet driven powerheads (like the Vortech) of course have a disadvantage to other pumps when it comes to noise. I would however argue that Ecotech Marine probably put more resources into quieting their Vortech motor dry sides, than others did for quieting their in-aquarium motors? Maybe the manufacturers use water-dampening as a resting pillow,  not to further improve on noise reduction?

• Wow 1
1 hour ago, Sailfish said:

What do you mean with "...so not silent in comparison to them (Vortech MP10 & Gyre), but just silent in itself"? Does the IM Wavelink make more or less noise?

That's the thing though. I seem to hear pumps, that other people are generally not bothered by. Maybe because I'm living by the Norwegian coast, and not in the city. 9/12 months are dead silent outside, except the sound of gentle waves hitting the beach as well as a seagull now and then.

We all also have different levels of hearing, so what is not noticeable for some, may be for others. That is why I wished there would be some objective tests, using standardized equipment, for all the different pumps. Sounds like a perfect subject for BRS Investigates!  A good quality audiometer, set 50 cm away, pointing straight at the base of the pump. Would be important that they'd let all the pumps break in for a week or two, for the results to be applicable for home reefers.

If I know BRS, they'd probably go several levels deeper, measuring the frequency of sound, and test at different distances from the tank as well. Basic physics have it that higher frequency sound waves (air waves) decay faster, than lower frequency. Does it affect how "loud" we perceive pump noise? Are there pumps that are loud (ex. 45 dB?) at 20 cm distance, but quiet (ex. 19 dB?) at 1 m? Are there pumps that are medium-loud at 20 cm, that stay almost equally audible at 1 m or even 2 m? Graphs, please 😁

Yes, I would tend to agree with you that a larger pump run at lower speeds will be more quiet, than the same design (model) of pump in a smaller version. It's simply a matter of larger blades not needing to spin as fast, to move the same amount of water.

The problem we run into by oversizing our pumps is that the manufacturer tend to keep the same number of power intervals in their different sized pumps. This results in bigger difference in flow between intervals, as you go up in size. My Gyre 230 can only run on 10-20% intervals, for it to be audibly tolerable for me. Alternatively constant 30%, but it is less desireable for detritus build-up and general coral health. Instead of 10 intervals, to vary my flow, I have 2. How many intervals do you have with your Tunze Turbelle Nanostream 6055, when max is 25%?

Yes, magnet driven powerheads (like the Vortech) of course have a disadvantage to other pumps when it comes to noise. I would however argue that Ecotech Marine probably put more resources into quieting their Vortech motor dry sides, than others did for quieting their in-aquarium motors? Maybe the manufacturers uses water-dampening as a resting pillow,  not to further improve on noise reduction?

What I mean is that I just don't hear it. Both my MP10 and gyre I could hear, with my tank behind me about 20ft away. My tank now is about 5ft from where I sit in the couch, and even all the time I spend right at the tank watching everything, I don't hear the wavelink. The Kps I could hear cycling if I was near the tank, but not sure if that is normal or if it's because mine is defective. 

• Like 2
54 minutes ago, 5*Chris said:

What I mean is that I just don't hear it. Both my MP10 and gyre I could hear, with my tank behind me about 20ft away. My tank now is about 5ft from where I sit in the couch, and even all the time I spend right at the tank watching everything, I don't hear the wavelink. The Kps I could hear cycling if I was near the tank, but not sure if that is normal or if it's because mine is defective. 

Thank you, for clearing that up! 😊 
How is it, when you put your ear up close to it? How close before you hear it at 20-50-100%? How good would you rate your hearing?

mitten_reef
4 hours ago, Sailfish said:

Looks like you put a lot of thoughts into this.  What if, and I don't know your tank setup, you use a quiet, variable-speed return pump on pulse/wave mode. Then within the tank you just use a single-speed powerhead(s)?  The powerhead designs had been perfected to the point of near silent IMHO, the noise seems to correlate more with the wave action we all wanted but don't need. By having the return pump varying the flow, you eliminate the power up/down needed on the wavemaker, but still have at least one stream of water that is varying in flow.  Just a random thought.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Looks like you put a lot of thoughts into this.  What if, and I don't know your tank setup, you use a quiet, variable-speed return pump on pulse/wave mode. Then within the tank you just use a single-speed powerhead(s)?  The powerhead designs had been perfected to the point of near silent IMHO, the noise seems to correlate more with the wave action we all wanted but don't need. By having the return pump varying the flow, you eliminate the power up/down needed on the wavemaker, but still have at least one stream of water that is varying in flow.  Just a random thought.  

Yeah, when continously reefing for 15 years you start having some pet peeves. Mine is noise 😂 

That's a fine idea you have got there. Way to think outside the box! Pardon the pun. The only issue I see with a setup like that would be doubts if the BeanAnimal overflow method is able to maintain a full siphon and a slow trickle down the secondary overflow. Could result in lots of "sloshing" and gurgles from the overflow. Then again, closed loops have existed for a long time...

Also, for the return to interfer with the powerful cicrculation pumps in the display it would also have to be proportionally powerful. As not to meerly make a fart in a storm 😊 How powerful return do you think? Maybe a massively oversized EM Vectra pulsing between 1-2? Or maybe 1-3?

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Sailfish said:

Yes, magnet driven powerheads (like the Vortech) of course have a disadvantage to other pumps when it comes to noise. I would however argue that Ecotech Marine probably put more resources into quieting their Vortech motor dry sides, than others did for quieting their in-aquarium motors? Maybe the manufacturers uses water-dampening as a resting pillow,  not to further improve on noise reduction?

I have it on a pulse mode... Every 4 seconds between 20 percent and 30 percent. I have two of them so the combination creates a good flow pattern for a mixed tank without putting bare spots on the sand bed.

If you want more control...they plug into apex which is more or less limitless what you can do.

AC-powered, single-speed pumps should be more silent than DC-pumps that ramp speed up and down.  

Even at the same volume level, the changes in tone from the speed changes inherent to a controllable pump would be more noticeable.

...relatively speaking.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, mcarroll said:

AC-powered, single-speed pumps should be more silent than DC-pumps that ramp speed up and down.  

Even at the same volume level, the changes in tone from the speed changes inherent to a controllable pump would be more noticeable.

...relatively speaking.

Yes, I agree. It is why I stated that I have with my Gyre 230 the option of A) run alternating 10-20% (my current choice) or B) run constant 30%.

What do you think about AC-powered variable speed pumps, like the Rossmont Movers?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Sailfish said:

What do you think about AC-powered variable speed pumps, like the Rossmont Movers?

Haven't used them specifically, but if the speed is varying, then they are up against the same factors as any other pump...either the speed changes are "geared down" (slower) so they are more silent, or they are audible....as I mentioned, it's more than the outright sound volume changing as you also detect the pitch changes from the differing RPM's.

Even AC pumps (e.g. Hydor Korallia) will clack when you turn them on/off every few hours with an appliance timer in a basic tide simulation...but at least it's only 1-4 times a day and not continuously, all day, every day.   I was never around to hear mine switch most of the time just due to chance....so it was silent.

I only hear my Tunze Nanostreams and Streams when I lay on the floor next to the tank and it's quiet in the room....but the big ones in particular are easy to hear under those circumstances.

Of course this is customizable at my 7096 controller, the speed changes could be customized to be as slow/silent as you want if that was a bigger priority...this isn't a quiet space tho, it's an active living space, so those moments are rare or nonexistent on most days.  Under active living conditions, the tank's sounds are completely unnoticeable.  The ATO kicking on is the loudest thing about my system on most days, and even that is pretty quiet unless the reservoir is getting low.  

(And thanks for that since the noise is my re-fill alarm!  I wish it was a little louder.  😉)

I have two Hydor  Koralia, I’m always questioning, are they actually running? There is no controller on them, other than one is off at night. 

Nano 425 and a Nano 350.

• Like 2