ReefCleaners.org

What algae do I have? Cyano? Dino?

lostboy95

Hey guys!

I've been dealing with some sort of Algae and through my research am still unable to ID if it's cyano or dino as so much of the information crosses over. If any of you experts could chime in and tell me what your opinion on it is that would be dope! Also if you happen to know the best way to treat it depending on what it is, I'd love to start treating today. 

IMG_7405.jpg

IMG_7406.jpg

IMG_7407.jpg

IMG_7408.jpg

IMG_7414.jpg

Thrassian Atoll

I don’t think it’s cyano or Dino’s.  Looks more like diatoms or some type of hair algae.  The only way you will know for sure is with a microscope.  You can get a cheap one from Amazon.

• Like 1

I moved to a new house and all of a sudden both of my tanks have very similar coating on the sand, also my freshwater tank got diatoms on glass.  I use tap for the freshwater tank, homemade RO/DI + red sea salt for the saltwater tanks.  Nitrate runs around 2-5 in both salt tanks, phosphate around 0.03 to 0.1 (salifert kits). But I also dose calcium ammonium nitrate for nitrate and dibasic potassium phosphate for phosphate sporadically, b/c if I don't both go to zero or close to zero.  I dose homemade sodium carbonate and calcium chloride daily (Also have fuges/sumps with small amount of chaeto (throw most of it out into compost pit when it grows out of control). My hospital tank has macroalgae and its been bleaching and not growing well (aside from caulerpa, which has been growing explosively) since I've moved.  Had none of these problems at other house 30 miles away, and yet i don't think I'm doing anything different other than installing the sumps.  Silicates in water maybe? Some mineral deficiency b/c of the chaeto? Sorry for hijacking your thread but I think we have the same problem.