ReefCleaners.org

What are these guys?!

oozi

Hey Everyone! Just got into the hobby about 6 months ago - got my first two corals this week from the local pet store.. Noticed there are now 2 or 3 of these guys roaming around the tank. They are very small - about 1-2mm. Not sure if they are worms or some other pest I should be worried about - or friendly bonus hitchhikers from my new corals.

I've done all kinds of digging cant seem to find out exactly what they are. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_5945.jpg

IMG_5946.jpg

IMG_5948.jpg

IMG_5947.jpg

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, oozi said:

Hey Everyone! Just got into the hobby about 6 months ago - got my first two corals this week from the local pet store.. Noticed there are now 2 or 3 of these guys roaming around the tank. They are very small - about 1-2mm. Not sure if they are worms or some other pest I should be worried about - or friendly bonus hitchhikers from my new corals.

I've done all kinds of digging cant seem to find out exactly what they are. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_5945.jpg

IMG_5946.jpg

IMG_5948.jpg

IMG_5947.jpg

Looks like an Asterina Starfish......mostly a good guy. 

• Like 1

Thanks Christy! I googled that starfish and I cant find any that look the same as what I have. They are almost shaped like a trapezoid. They all definitely are alive and moving very slowly. Under close inspection it looks like they have orange/peachy dots on them. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, oozi said:

Thanks Christy! I googled that starfish and I cant find any that look the same as what I have. They are almost shaped like a trapezoid. They all definitely are alive and moving very slowly. Under close inspection it looks like they have orange/peachy dots on them. 

Most Asterina rarely look like a complete star.  They will often look like pieces of a starfish. 

The easiest way to find out is to see if you can pick it off the rock and look at the underside. 

17 minutes ago, oozi said:

Thanks for the tips! Any recommendations on how to get them off the rock without injuring them?

Just tweeze them right off. ....It doesn’t hurt them.