inTank Media Baskets

I need advice with spectrum ick shield powder

LPRADO

Hello everyone:

I need advice with Spectrum ick shield powder. Does anyone have experience using it?. A friend is using it at the moment but he does not see results.  I attach some photos. We are concerned about this boxfish, it is THE pet of the tank. I really appreciate advice and comments.

Regards from Chile

0AB0F051-7858-4AB4-A89D-B17F6E9CB373.thumb.jpeg.a073e5c30eaef001a1b2141645836fbe.jpeg

57B9569D-AEDF-494B-91DC-7065E10646C2.thumb.jpeg.5ce6fd248e1d91a78831318cf66a0d72.jpeg

8 hours ago, LPRADO said:

Hello everyone:

I need advice with Spectrum ick shield powder. Does anyone have experience using it?. A friend is using it at the moment but he does not see results.  I attach some photos. We are concerned about this boxfish, it is THE pet of the tank. I really appreciate advice and comments.

Regards from Chile

0AB0F051-7858-4AB4-A89D-B17F6E9CB373.thumb.jpeg.a073e5c30eaef001a1b2141645836fbe.jpeg

57B9569D-AEDF-494B-91DC-7065E10646C2.thumb.jpeg.5ce6fd248e1d91a78831318cf66a0d72.jpeg

It sounds like you need help with the tank and the fish if you think you need "shield power".

Can you tell us more of the story on this tank as well as the fish?

How old is the tank?

How is it being maintained?

What other fish and animals are in the tank with this fish?

How long has this fish been in the tank?

Anything else you think might be relevant too.

Your main object should be to eliminate all stresses that caused the fish to decline into sickness in the first place.  If you can't do that, meds will only give a temporary effect at most.

If you CAN do that, the fish might clear up on its own.

If you can safely, and with minimal stress, get the fish out of the tank and into a freshwater dip, that will help knock off a lot of the parasites and give it a chance to get a "leg up" on recovery.  You can do two dips per day if it seems to really help or seems to be necessary.

This is a fish that I would try not to net if possible though...try to use the net (which he'll run from) to "steer" him into a clear catch cup of some kind.  This is what I use, but anything transparent and easy to handle should work:

image.thumb.png.63ad015997432338c5fa43ece57ac931.png

Then you can transfer him to the freshwater dip almost without stress and without touching.  5-10 minutes should do it, but be observant.  If he appears to be in stress while in the dip, you can move him back....just wait a while and try again.  (Sometimes fish get freaked out by the change in water, but it's not really hurting them...they just need to relax, which they will do on your next try.)  Do not forget to dechlorinate the freshwater and bring it up to tank temperature before using it.