SaltCritters.com

AI Prime Schedule for LPS & Softies

ginoandres

I'm running a new AI Prime HD and I'm pretty confused by the settings. Terrible UI and lack of clear documentation. I basically searched a FB group for a preset and ran the BRS AB+ schedule that's pictured below as many say that works well.  This is on a 20g cube (Red Sea Max Nano) I'm starting my new corals at 50% acclimation and everything looks pretty good. My question is this: on the RSM Max Nano, do I need to worry about the super high UVs and Blues (~118%) on this schedule burning my corals? I plan to run LPS and Softies. I keep finding conflicting info online so any help is appreciated.

BRS with clouds.jpg

partlycloudy531

How high do you have the light mounted? That light won’t burn your corals on that tank even at max intensity, as long as you acclimate everything and the light isn’t too close to the surface. 

19 minutes ago, partlycloudy531 said:

How high do you have the light mounted? That light won’t burn your corals on that tank even at max intensity, as long as you acclimate everything and the light isn’t too close to the surface. 

That's not true.

Many hobbyists have burnt corals even with acclimating.

I myself have experienced it.

44 minutes ago, ginoandres said:

I'm running a new AI Prime HD and I'm pretty confused by the settings. Terrible UI and lack of clear documentation. I basically searched a FB group for a preset and ran the BRS AB+ schedule that's pictured below as many say that works well.  This is on a 20g cube (Red Sea Max Nano) I'm starting my new corals at 50% acclimation and everything looks pretty good. My question is this: on the RSM Max Nano, do I need to worry about the super high UVs and Blues (~118%) on this schedule burning my corals? I plan to run LPS and Softies. I keep finding conflicting info online so any help is appreciated.

BRS with clouds.jpg

Yes you can burn your corals because not all corals need high light, Lps require low to moderate light, softies depends on which ones. Leathers and xenia like light whereas mushrooms will shrink up, some zoas like high light and others don't.

There is no perfect light settings and unfortunately no definitive direction with led lighting.

I have searched everywhere and there is no definitive answer on how many watts of light, the highest settings you should use for certain corals/tank size.

Best way is watching your corals responses.

• Like 2

I only have soft corals in my tank (leathers, xenia, zoas, RFA, gorgonian and some mushroom.  I'm super lazy and did an easy setup. Blue , royal blue and violet are maxed out, whites are at 30, UV at 108 or something like that. Tank is the lagoon 25g and the prime is about 9-10 inches above water. Corals seem to like it. 

Screenshot_20200610-170632_myAI.jpg

partlycloudy531

On a 20g cube, a single AI prime would barely be strong enough for SPS/Acros and is the perfect light for an LPS/softie tank. I had an AI Prime on my 24g cube and had it mounted 10” above the surface and ran the BRS AB+ schedule and the bottom 3/4 of the tank received less than 200 par with the edges and substrate getting around 50-75. Like I said, you will be fine as long as it’s mounted high enough for an even spread and to prevent hotspots. There are some YouTube videos from BRS about that light that will provide good information and might make you feel better about running that schedule. 

27 minutes ago, partlycloudy531 said:

On a 20g cube, a single AI prime would barely be strong enough for SPS/Acros and is the perfect light for an LPS/softie tank. I had an AI Prime on my 24g cube and had it mounted 10” above the surface and ran the BRS AB+ schedule and the bottom 3/4 of the tank received less than 200 par with the edges and substrate getting around 50-75. Like I said, you will be fine as long as it’s mounted high enough for an even spread and to prevent hotspots. There are some YouTube videos from BRS about that light that will provide good information and might make you feel better about running that schedule. 

I ran a single prime on a 24x24 with sps, Lps. It never reached 100%

I had amazing growth, my corals were happy. No shadowing. Light was 10" across.

Since I added an additional prime, there has been no change in growth or colouration

Intense lighting is needed for full sps tanks particularly acros.